~Uno~

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Oh gosh..."

heart palpitations quicken

plop 

My sweat drops like fresh rain onto the forest floor. Adrenaline rushes through my veins, heightening my senses and keeping me extra alert. 

I walked, slowly approaching the door while being wary of my surroundings. 

knock knock

The pitpat of feet signaled that someone was coming up to the door. I could see the doorknob twisting, but then it abruptly stopped. 

"Yooo we got more peeps comin to this lit partyy"

I heard the boy's raspy voice from the other side of the door.

"What the hell? Wait, why am I here again??" I questioned myself out loud.

creak

The door opened, creaking eerily as if to warn me of what was inside the house. In haste, I threw myself into the house and shut the door with a loud THUD. When I turned around, there was actually a bunch of high school kids inside blasting some loud music that sounded like EDM. 

"What the heck?" I stood there in absolute shock of the scene unfolding before me. I entered the scene of a classic high school party. The smell of all kinds of booze reeks and the air inside is hazy with smoke. I could see people raiding the food table, shoving tortilla chips in their mouth and guzzling down beers as if it was a sport. The floor was littered with cardboard, cigarettes, and guacamole. 

Just as I was beginning to walk around to observe the party scene, a shrill beeping noise cut through my train of thought and I jolted up, feeling my nerves scuttle down my back. 

Damn..what type of messed-up dream was that? Especially happening on the night before high school. This must be a sign.

I groaned as I got up. My morning sickness takes over for a grueling three seconds before I figure out I have to go to brush my teeth and get ready.

~30 minutes later~

The smell of eggs entices me as I get closer towards the kitchen. 

"Good morning, Athena!~" a small sparrow sings sweetly as I grab my omelette off the counter. 

Just kidding, it's my mom lol. She turns around and reveals herself with a checkered apron splattered with curry gravy and drops of oil resting upon her crinkled forehead. 

"Good morning kuruvi, how'd you sleep?" she asks. 

"I slept alright I guess...just had a weird dream about being in a high school party.."I shudder at the thought of last night's events. 

"That's weird. I hope you're not thinking about going to any of those." she says with eyebrows furrowed.

"Ew mom! I would never...I can't stand the smell of alcohol. I have a bit of noise sensitivity anyways." I reply as I shove the last morsel of the omelette in my mouth. I walk into the kitchen and drop my crisp white plate into the stainless steel sink. Glancing over at the clock, I see that the time reads as 7:30.

"Well I gotta get to my bus stop. The bus comes at 7:40," I say. 

Leaning over to her tiny face. I place a kiss on her forehead and give her a tight hug. I rush over to the door and put on my black Converse high tops. 

"WAIT GET BACK HERE WE AIN'T DONE TALKING," my mom shouts as her tiny figure runs towards me. 

"Gosh you scared me. What is it? Is Dad coming home late again?" I contest, waiting to hear the same thing for the 243th time. 

"No, it's something even more concerning than that. Plus, you know how his job is...Anyways, I gotta tell you the most riveting part about high school other than the courses." she says.

What could possibly be better than working my ass off to get into UW?, I thought.

"You're a young and beautiful girl. I want you to have the full high school experience. Kuruvi, you need to make some new friends. Now, Ramesh and Sienna are great people. But you have not seen them in 3 months. They could have undergone some drastic changes. You don't even know i-"

"Ammaaaaa we've been texting for the entire summer. Plus, they're all doing camps and Sienna told me she got a boyfriend. We have a group chat so we're fine. Ni kavalapadadhe." I cut her off, remembering all the stories and memes we exchanged.

"That may be the case, but just...don't be surprised. At least promise me you'll meet at least two new people. They could even be Ramesh or Sienna's new friends." my mom suggested, holding out her small and bony hand.

pause

Sighing, I intertwined my long fingers in hers and stepped forward to give her one last embrace. Catching sight of the clock, I realized it was 7:36. 

"Um compelling speech mom but I gotta blast otherwise I might miss the bus! Bye I love you!~" I voiced as I opened the door and sprinted to the bus stop. Luckily, it was only three blocks away. 

"Bye kuruvi," my mom exclaimed, a single tear sliding down her rosy cheek. 

My name is Athena Gopalakrishnan Bhagwan Patel and this is the story from about how I almost missed the first bus to school to how I met the potential love of my life.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Hey y'all!~

First chapter done yayyy sorry if it's a bit slow. We wanted to start out slowly and then dive into the story head-first.

Please don't leave cause we can guarantee it's gonna get spicyy~

There are some Tamil phrases in this so lemme just define each one real quick. 

Kuruvi - sparrow, also used as a term of endearment

Ni kavalapadadhe - don't you worry

Written by - Pip :P

Edited by - Nan B)

954 words