2.6

Today was the day. Michael was finally taking Parker to the doctor, and he was a lot more nervous than he should have been.

When Michael was a kid he hated going to the doctor's office. He would scream and fight and cry and try to do whatever he could to not go. Now, even though this wasn't Parker's first time going to the doctors, Michael was still afraid that he would freak out. Beth had always been there with them when Parker had to have a check up, this would be Michael's first time on his own.

"I'm glad you're taking me to the doctors today." Parker smiled, holding tightly onto Michael's had as they walked through the parking lot and into the doctor's office.

"Really? Why?" Michael questioned nervously.

"I don't have to go to school!" Parker giggled.

"Aw, but don't you like school?" Michael laughed. He didn't want Parker to turn into one of those kids that absolutely hated going to school; not yet at least.

"It's fun, but hanging out with you is fun-er." Parker said, swinging his and Michael's hands back and forth.

"Okay, buddy." Michael laughed again. He stopped walking and quickly picked Parker up, trying to hurry up so they weren't late for their appointment.

"I'm going to be okay, right?" Parker asked quietly after a few minutes, mindlessly fiddling with the collar of Michael's shirt.

"Yeah, Pac-Man, you're going to be fine. They're just going to give you a little check to see what's up with you." Michael explained.

"Okay." Parker nodded again. "We should watch a movie when we get home."

"Yeah, we can do that." Michael chuckled, walking with Parker down the hall and into the waiting room. Michael sat down in one of the chairs, keeping Parker on his lap.

"Or we can play Mario Kart." Parker shrugged.

"We can do that too." Michael laughed. He was pretty surprised at how calm Parker was acting, it was like he didn't even realize that they were in a doctors office. Michael really just hoped that this would all go well.

They sat quietly for the next few minutes in the waiting room, both of them mindlessly looking around the room and trying to distract themselves.

"I know what I want for my birthday." Parker said suddenly, turning on Michael's lap so he could face him.

"You just had your birthday a couple months ago." Michael said, fixing Parker's hair a little. It was starting to grow out again, and Michael knew that it wouldn't be long before Beth was begging to get Parker's hair cut again.

"No I didn't." Parker pouted, shaking his head. He folded his arms across his chest, refusing to believe that his birthday had already passed.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure you did." Michael scoffed.

"I'm going to have another one." Parker insisted.

"Yeah, in a few more months." Michael said and rolled his eyes, making a mental note to explain this whole thing to Parker at another time.

"Well, I know what you're going to get me." Parker said, still pouting at the fact that he couldn't have his birthday whenever he wanted.

"And what is that?" Michael asked. Even if Parker's birthday wasn't coming up soon, Christmas was, and Michael needed some gift ideas.

"A puppy."

"Park, I can't get you a puppy." Michael sighed.

"Why not?" Parker whined, turning away from Michael as if he was mad at him.