Chapter 12 So It Begins

Magistrate Arsenio waited at his residence in Dexter for the messenger. There had been numerous riots and talk of revolution in several of the colonies along the seaboard. The harder he cracked down on the colonists the more determined the resistance became. He felt that the entire colonial empire was a powder keg. The railroads gave him quick access to areas of insurrection, but outlying areas were proving more difficult. He needed a powerful display of imperial resolve and might to dissuade the masses. He had a plan and it all rested on that young woman who escaped his grasp. Her slow, public and humiliating death on the wheel would silence any rebellion. He would nail her naked to the wheel and any accomplices to adjoining wheels. She was nubile and healthy and could be counted on for several days of animated and erotic entertainment as she writhed and wept in agony. Nothing like a good execution to silence and instill righteous fear in the rabble. He smiled as the messenger approached.

"Give me the news."

"Her name is Eulia Mae, she comes from Beaconsfield on the peninsula. She was indentured to a local farmer Ian Green. He adopted her. The property is currently under foreclosure. She has an accomplice named Phoebe Marie of the Cooper Guild. It's just a matter of time before we have them. They have no place to hide."

"Do you have a description?"

"Both are rather short, comely, seventeen, one blond with blue eyes and the other red haired with green eyes."

"Yes I remember her hair and those green eyes."

"The newer posters have very accurate pictures of them. Neither are well liked by their village and many were willing to assist our search."

"Why is that?"

"They have and association with a suspected witch, and many of the villagers simply didn't like them."

"When you catch this Eulia bring her and her accomplice here to me. Leave them unharmed, I need them hale and lively." The messenger saluted and left the residence.

*****

The mule train from the gold mine and minting center made its way across salt pan of the the coastal sand dunes.They were bound for a town on the coast to discharge their cargo. They had three dozen mules tethered together each loaded with freshly minted gold coins. They had about a dozen armed men to guard the caravan. The armed men saw the dust clouds in the distance and the approach of several riders and moved into a tight defensive group. "It's our guys, stand down. It's just the marauders."

The group of eight approaching marauders were dressed in long black coats and had their faces covered with black bags. They each carried a long knife in their belt and a short shotgun. They continued to approach eventually surrounding the defenders then brought their shotguns to bear. "We're hear to relieve you." Their leaded said.

"No one said you were coming."

"We just assigned ourselves.Very slowly dismount. Move fast or reach for a gun and we'll cut you down." The caravan guards did as they were told. They surrendered their weapons. "OK, take off you boots and pants and start walking."

"You can't do that."

"We just did, my associate will issue each of you a canteen it's a long walk to the coast. Tell the magistrate we are most grateful for his very generous donation."

The group watched as the caravan guards walked away, waiting until they were some distance off. "Well Jake that worked like a charm," David said.

"Each of you have you assigned contact," Jake said. "This money will fund numerous resistance groups. We'll all meet in two weeks, be careful and Godspeed."