Chapter 32 Dining with the Devil

Eulia was anxious. In less than an hour she had to be dressed and at a state dinner with her enemy, thwart his planned forceful 'seduction' and still find time to manage her escape all under the scrutiny of numerous guards and the ever present Ruth and Agatha. After bathing and waxing her clothes were being laid out. The women had been thorough in the waxing and her face was still red from embarrassment. They had supplied her with a soothing lavender and rose scented cream which she applied generously to herself. "His lordship expressed his desire you wear this short red dress," Agatha said. It was one of her favorite dresses that Teddie had helped her pick out. And she loved wearing it out with her sisters and for Jacob but she had planned to have her derringer secured and holstered on her inner thigh hidden in the folds of two petticoats and her long dress.

"I thought something more formal would be better."

"No his lordship selected this one," Ruth insisted. Eulia was wearing her short slip so Agatha assisted her into her corset. Then the dress was pulled on over her head. The dress had short off the shoulder puffy sleeves a low neckline. Arsenio had it altered and she was disturbed to find the neckline was considerably lower and the entire dress much shorter ending inches above her knees.

"This isn't my..."

"No his lordship had it made special," Ruth said smiling her cobra smile. "I have to agree, it does show you off." Showed her off! She would be on display Eulia thought. "Lets leave your hair down. You look really striking, the ginger hair and the darker red of the dress compliment you nicely."

"You blush easily and your ivory complexion makes you look so young and innocent.We really hope everything goes well for you," Ruth whispered. "If his lordship likes you he may keep you."

"And we have enjoyed you here," Agatha added.

"Keep me?" Eulia said, her eyebrow raised slightly as she spoke.

"Alive," Ruth whispered, "its very lonely here in the tower."

"I'm sorry," Eulia whispered. "I'll do my best to stay alive...promise."

"We don't have shoes and socks for you," Agatha said.

"It's OK, I seldom wear shoes." Unnoticed by her helpers Eulia slipped her derringer into the corset between her breasts. She was pleased to note the little gun was well hidden and the extra lift it provided diversion for her admirers. Agatha closed the claps on the green necklace and turned Eulia to face her. "You look so beautiful girl. I've not noticed that little pendant before."

"I keep it hidden. But now my neckline is so low, can't hide anything."

"We won't be here when you come back tonight," Agatha said.

"You have been so nice to us," Ruth said, "it has been a pleasure." Eulia hugged both women.

"You have been very kind to me...thank you," Eulia whispered.

By then the guards were at the door to escort her to the great hall. The four men flanked her and meekly she followed. At first she was afraid they had spotted her derringer but then realize it was her decolletage that they found worthy of their hungry stares. She straightened her shoulders and holding her chin up smiled and walked serenely to the great hall. She could hear loud rough laughter emanating from the room long before she entered. The laughter stopped as she entered and she felt that all eyes were on her as she swept through the door. The hall was filled with well dressed men and women. Server girls were sitting on laps or the tables as they flirted with the guests. They too watched her entry with jaundiced eyes. Arsenio motioned the guard to bring her over and waited until she was seated next to him.

"Eulia, Eulia, I've waited so long for this."

"I was content with you waiting forever."

"Well you're here now. And I've taken the precaution of having the chamber pot taken from you room."