Chapter 16 Liaison

"Well what do you think?" Kate said.

"We'll be a 'liaison'?" Eulia said softly.

"Yes, the republic has officially joined the colonial army in the rebellion. You three will co-ordinate intelligence between the army of the republic and the rebels. Your contact for the republic will be General Thaddeus Tedson and for the rebellion Generals Jacob Henderson, and his cousin David Samuelson."

"What do we do?" Jo asked.

"Fly reconnaissance, deliver messages, report to the coven and civil authority in the republic. You are not allowed to fight unless in defense, so leave most of your guns here. Always act professional. Remember you're dragon riders."

"We know Jacob Henderson and David Samuelson," Eulia said, "really well."

"We come from the same village," Phoebe said. She lightly nudged Eulia to caution her about giving to much information.

"I expect you to refrain from flirting or fraternizing while you represent the coven."

"Yes, mother," they repeated.

"The republic is sending five hundred cannon through Pipsqueak's Pass as we talk," Kate said, "This will be finished before the first snow. The navy will be in place to blockade the port of Dexter and two battalions of marines will land on the peninsula."

"Why?" Eulia asked.

"The rebel generals impressed our negotiators. They will be joining the republic adding three states and giving us control of the entire continent." Kate continued. "This has always been the hope of the republic since it's founding."

"We accept," they said in unison.

"Jo, you'll need to get a black shirt and white vest, also change your patches. You are the new flight leader."

"Thank you Mother Kate!" Jo whispered.

"My Mom's expecting you both to stay with us," Jo said, "We have a lot on our plate."

"Do we ever!" Phoebe whispered.

They were all in uniform as they boarded the ferry across Turnagain Bay and landed in Novi. "I like my new shirt and vest," Jo said as they walked briskly ignoring numerous whistles and cat calls.

"I can't believe this is happening," Eulia whispered.

"It's far from a done thing," Jo said, "hopefully my Mom will have some ideas, She will not like the fact we won't have all our guns."

"I still have my boot derringer," Phoebe said, "so does Euly."

"I'm good with a sling," Eulia said.

"Teddi said she was willing to work with us on using a sling. Our chain breaking spell needs work, and Addie will give each of us a pick lock and a crash course in lock picking," Jo said.

"We have so much to do," Eulia said. "Let's let Jake and David know we're coming."

"How long do we have to pull this off," Phoebe asked.

"About a fortnight," Jo responded. "You can stay with me in my room if you'd like or your own."

"I don't think we'll get much sleep, your room will be fine," Eulia said.

*****

Jolene lead her daughter and her two friends into the naval yard. They had a crowd of observers watching. They were wearing their red hooded capes but under them their short red dresses and their flight boots. "There are a lot of sharp objects on the ground," Jolene said, "so I'm glad you took my advice regarding foot wear."