Take a Bow

To burn with desire and keep quiet about it is the greatest punishment we can bring on ourselves.
—Federico García Lorca, Blood Wedding and Yerma

Chapter Seven ~ Take a Bow

"Oh good, you're still here

"Oh good, you're still here." Isabel said, entering the room.

"I told you I would wait for you." I said.

"Yes, you did." She said, playing with her hands.

"You don't have to be nervous around me, Isa." I said.

"Umm...right." She said.

"Do you want to sit?" I asked, gesturing to the little table with two chairs next to the window.

"Sure." She answered, walking over to the table as I pull out the chair for her. "Thank you." She said as I take a seat across from her.

"Isa, are you nervous about answering my question?" I asked.

"No." She answered.

"Then what are you so nervous about?" I asked.

"Your response to my answer." She replied.

"Why would my response make you nervous?" I asked.

"Because my answer can either keep us friends or destroy our friendship." She answered.

"Isabel, are you in love with me?" I asked.

"Yes." She answered.

I reached forward to touch her cheek.

"Isabel." William said.

The movement is so sudden, Isabel stop breathing. William's amazing blue eyes bore into hers.

"Catch me if you want your favorite jacket back!" Mariana yelled, she was turning down another corner opposite from me.

"You spoiled brat." I muttered.

I turned abruptly and ran into someone. I staggered back.

"Ow." I said, rubbing my head.

I looked up and met blue eyes.

"Are you looking for this?" William asked, holding up my favorite jacket.

"How did you?" I asked, trying to grab the jacket from him but he holds it up over his head.

"Nope, we won't get it until you say something to me." William said.

"Like what?" I asked.

"I love you, William, you're the best in the world." He answered.

"Not going to happen." I said, trying to grab the jacket when he grabbed my hand. And a spark flew through from him to me. I jumped back.

"Say it, Isa." He said.

"Nope." I said.

"Fine, maybe I'll give Mariana your favorite jacket back." He said.

"No! Fine. I love you, William." I said.

"And?" He asked.

"You're the best in the world." I added.

"Why would you ask me that? Why do you want to know if I love you?" Isabel asked.

"Isa, why do you love me?" William asked.

"I love how I feel when I look into your eyes, I see the universe in them, nobody and nothing matters when we are together. You always support me when I am upset and always laugh at my foolish jokes, you love me without changing me, I appreciate it. I like the sense of security that I feel when you hold my hand, I understand that with your support and love I can do everything. I love the way you look at me, I adore every little wrinkle on your face, you are the man, with whom I wanna grow old." Isabel answered.

"Why did you wait so long to tell me this?" William asked.

"It doesn't matter." Isabel replied.

"Yes, it does. Things could have been different. I could have been with the woman I love with the very beginning." William said.

"You love me?" Isabel asked.

"Of course I do, I was just a fool not to realize it sooner. Everyone knew but me. Poor Catherine, she knew she was second place to you and I forced myself to let you go but I couldn't. Isabel, I love you. You are the person, with whom I can dance under the rain, when we are together, all problems disappear. Your words, glances, touches make my heart smile. You have given me the most precious gifts: your love and friendship, I couldn't ask for anything more. You are my inspiration, for you I am ready to change and become better than I am." William answered.

"William." Isabel said.

"I can count on you, no matter what you will be always there for me, Isabel, I tried to substitute Catherine for you, but nobody can substitute you. Isabel, I want to make things right." William said.

"What do you mean?" Isabel asked.

"Give me a chance." William answered.

"William, you're still grieving your wife." Isabel said.

"I will always grieve for Catherine but Isabel, if I asked you to marry me, What would you say?" William asked.

"I would say if you really knew me then you wouldn't be asking me that question. You're only doing this because that's what your father wants." Isabel said.

"Isabel." William said.

"William, I wont be the cliche best friend who jumps at the chance to be with the man she loves." Isabel said, walking away.

"Isabel!" William exclaimed.

"Tell everyone I said hi." Isabel said, leaving the room.