f i n a l s e l e c t i o n : e n d

7 days have passed since that demon and the redhead's sorrowful eyes pierced through my head. Throughout the trials, I couldn't help but feel empathetic towards the demons I killed. After all, they didn't have a choice to if they were a demon or not. Every single demon I sent off, I prayed for their wellbeing and all the demons had a sad look in their eyes.

Now, the remaining children were at the entrance of the wisteria forest. Counting me, 5 people made it out safe even though we started out with 20. I stood in front of the woods and prayed for all of the poor spirits to be sent off easily and safely. Turning around, I looked and saw that the redhead had also made it out alive. As expected since he was pretty strong. The black and white-haired children stood in front of us.

"Welcome back," the black-haired one spoke.

"Congratulations," the white-haired one spoke next. "Being safe and sound is better than anything else."

There was another girl besides me that was calmly staring at a butterfly that landed on her finger. How she had no injuries, I had no idea. One of the guys had yellow hair with orange tips and he was mumbling under his breath shakily about dying. Another with intense eyes and a scar on the right side of his face was muttering about something related to a blade.

"You must first pay the cost for the uniform. Then you must get your body measured and have your rank engraved," The white-haired girl stated. Huh? I don't know if I have enough money for that...

"There are ten ranks in total, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th," The black-haired one spoke. "You are now at the lowest 10th level."

The one with the scar on his face stepped up and asked the white-haired one. "What about the blade?"

"Today, you will each choose a chunk of tamahagane alloy. Your blade will be completed within 10 to 15 days," the white-haired girl continued to speak. "Also, from now on, kasugaigarasu will be following you all."

"Kasugaigarasu is a crow that is primarily used for communication," the black-haired one informed us.

Crows from high above in the sky dropped low and rested on each of us. A crow settled on my shoulder and I pet it, softly smiling at it. The yellow-haired boy received a sparrow, unlike the rest of us. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the crows until the one with the scar on his lower cheek started swiping at his. He sauntered up to the white-haired girl and punched her, shouting at her.

"I don't care about some dumb crow!" He grabbed the girl's white hair and shouted in her face. "What I want is the blade! Give me the blade right now! The blade of the Demon Killing Corps! The 'Blade of Color Change'!"

My anger boiled to the top and I strutted over to him. I pushed him to the side and grabbed his arm.

"Let go of her or I'll break your arm," I spoke with venom laced in my voice.

"HUH?! Who are you?! You can try if you dare!"

My grip on his arm tightened as my face scrunched up into one of pure anger, as I twisted his arm up, causing pain in him. He let go and stepped back, holding his arm in pain.

"Guh..!" He stared up at me in disdain as I looked at him with contempt.

"Are you done?" The black-haired one asked, completely disregarding the other girl's wound. "If so, please go over there and choose the alloy that will be used to create your blade. The alloy for the blade that will be used to destroy demons and protect yourself will be chosen personally by one of you."

Everyone had a serious face on, with the exception of the blond fellow, muttering negative things about himself.

The scene switched to a Japanese home. There, a man with his front facing his pond and tree held a crow delicately by his finger. Musing to himself, he carefully overlooked the information he had been given.

"Is that so," he rubbed the crow lightly. "There are five swordsmen remaining. They seem to be excellent. My swordsmen have increased..."

"I wonder what kind of swordsmen they are."