n e w p e o p l e

Tanjirou trembles in fear as the udon truck owner ridiculed us for not finishing our udon. He screamed about how he didn't even care about the money, and all he wanted was for us to eat and enjoy the meal. Tanjirou looked at the owner worriedly and fearfully while he ranted about our "lack of intent to eat his udon."

"I'm sorry! Please serve me another bowl!"

"So, you're gonna eat it?" The owner seemed skeptical of him.

"Yes!" Tanjirou exclaimed.

"You're definitely gonna eat it, right?" The owner leaned in closer to Tanjirou's face, analyzing him.

"Yes! I will!"

"Alright!" He turned from Tanjirou to me. "You too!"

"Eh?" I rose my hands up in defense. "I-I'm not hungry...?"

"Nonsense!" He waved his hand in the air and pointed directly at my face, leaning in. "You will eat my udon."

I stared at him with wide-eyes and a strained smile and was able to squeak a measly "Yes..." out. I sighed and stared at the ground dejected. Tanjirou pats my shoulder comfortingly. 

"And you!" The man pointed at Nezuko accusingly. "If you're gonna eat udon, take off that bamboo thing first! What is that anyway?! Take these chopsticks! CHOPSTICKS!"

Tanjirou claps him on the shoulder and holds up two fingers aggressively. "I'd like a bowl of udon! Two bowls of udon!"

"Right..."

The udon was served to us and, as I ate peacefully, Tanjirou gobbled it up and made loud slurping sounds. The man was shocked as electricity flashed behind him. As he shook violently, Tanjirou and I finished our noodles. Tanjirou drank all of the soup, set it down, and downed the second bowl of udon. He slammed it down and put his hands together, ignoring my wide eyes as I stared at him in disbelief.

"Thank you very much for the meal! That was delicious!"

I bowed and thanked him, giving him a small amount of money for our meal and we walked away.

"As long as you get it! It's all good!"

"Thanks for your business!"

I sigh and pat my stomach lightly. "He seems so enthusiastic to sell udon. It makes me happy."

Tanjirou smiled at my happy form and said, "It sure is refreshing to see people like him once in a while, right!"

"Mhm!" I noticed Nezuko by Tanjirou's side and apologized. "Sorry, Nezuko-chan... We both left you behind like that..." 

She looked at me with caring eyes before staring off in the distance with an intense look in her eyes. Tanjirou and I both looked at her oddly before staring where she was looking to find the demon from the time before.

"Ah. You're from the city. Were you waiting for us this whole time?" Tanjirou asked.

He looked at us with disdain and answered, "Yes because I was told to bring you to her."

"I could've tracked you by scent," said Tanjirou.

"She's in a place under a cloaking spell. No way you could find it."

"Cloaking?" I jumped in.

"Anyway," the demon boy pointed at Nezuko and furrowed his eyebrows even more. "Isn't that woman a demon? And an eyesore to look at."

"..."

Eyesore? Eyesore? Does he mean "ugly"? Who? Tanjirou looked around and his eyes slowly but surely landed on Nezuko, who stood innocently between us. NEZUKO??  Tanjirou jolted and put himself in front of the demon's face.