Chapter 10: Sebastian

10

Sebastian

I folded both arms behind my head as I stared at the muted TV on the dresser across from my bed. My phone was sitting on my stomach, and I glanced at it, but Summer hadn't yet responded to my text, or answered when I called. It worried me after the state she'd been in when I left. Whoever it was that she'd run into at the theater had really upset her, and the memory of her face trailed with tears left an ache in me that I couldn't make go away.

More than anything, I wanted to comfort her; wanted to embrace her until the memory of whatever it was, was gone. And I had wanted to kiss her. I'd been thinking it long before Chelsea shouted at us. What in the world had gotten into me? The more I thought about Chelsea's words in the food court, the less I could honestly deny them. They were echoing through me even now, making me question everything I thought to be true about myself. Like the fact that I was generally level-headed, devoted to my God, my writing, and my position in the church. I did not lackadaisically fall in love. Certainly not with someone that I'd known for one day.

Even with my ex, we'd known each other for several years before we'd dated, and that relationship had turned out horribly. Two days ago, I hadn't even known that Summer existed, and now I saw her face every time I closed my eyes. It was ridiculous. Somehow, she had burrowed a hole into my heart and stuck there, and she didn't even realize that she'd done it.

I sighed heavily with the thoughts, picked up my phone again, and opened it to the messages. Mine was the only one still there, and I frowned as I set my phone back down. What if she was curled up in a ball crying? What if she was upset with me for prying? Or worse, what if whoever she'd met at the theater had somehow found his way to her house and was hurting her?

That was, by far, my most far-fetched thought yet, and though it ranked a 1 on a scale of 1-10 in regard to likelihood, I still couldn't shake the fear that it welled within me. Deep, irrational, unnecessary fear.

Scooting up higher against my headboard, I picked up the phone again. Rather than going to my messages, I went straight to my contacts, and dialed Summer's number. With my teeth gnawing my lower lip, I counted the rings, waiting.

"Hello?"

The breath of relief I exuded was so deep I had to physically silence it, and sent a quick thank-you to God as I sat there grinning like an idiot.

"Hello? Sebastian?"

Still grinning, I sat all the way up and leaned into the phone. "I was beginning to think you were avoiding me."

She huffed and laughed softly. "No, sorry. Jerry came by to get Chelsea and we talked for a minute."

"I see."

"So... what's up?"

I shrugged, even though I knew she couldn't see it. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Okay?"

"After your encounter with... whoever, tonight."

"Oh..." she was quiet for a moment, and I heard her take a deep breath before speaking again. "I was a little rattled, but I'm okay now."

"Good." Licking my lips, I hunched over my lap, my fingers absently picking at the fluff on my blanket. "Well, if you ever feel like talking..."

"I know." She interrupted. "And I appreciate it. But..."

"You don't know me well enough to trust me. I get it."

"Actually, I trust you completely, which... isn't like me." She huffed on a small chuckle again. "There's a lot about you that's making me feel things that aren't like me."