Chapter 20: Sebastian

20 Sebastian

So, the reaper wanted to meet face-to-face... and here I thought we would just be pen pals for a while longer. Well, at least in the end, I'd also be meeting Jesus face-to-face, and I could only dream of how that would be. In the meantime, though, dying sucked. I'd known all along that it was going to happen, but I didn't think it'd be now, not when I was just getting things going with Summer.

My thoughts hovered around her as I slowly swam myself through a medicated fog back to the world of the living, and I took a breath as I felt myself coming awake. Immediately, my eyes landed on her. She was standing with her back to me, looking out the window, her arms wrapped around herself. The sight of her with the sun shining down through her vibrant hair stole what little breath I had, and I gasped hard, causing her to turn around.

Her eyes went wide when she saw I was awake, and came to my side to take my hand as she lowered into the chair beside me. "Hey, how are you doing?"

"Better." I admitted, and cleared my throat as my voice croaked. "Feels less like my lungs are on fire."

The smile she gave me carried a thousand words of hurt, and I squeezed her hand as I watched her. Her eyes were on mine, slowly filling with tears as she looked me up and down.

"Are you really not willing to try?" She asked in a whisper, and I let out a shallow breath as I turned away to stare at the ceiling.

"You don't know what it was like. Radiation won't give me my life back. It just takes away what little I have." My chest ached a moment, and I slowed to breathe deep through the cannula in my nose.

Summer's eyes never left mine. "But you're going to die otherwise."

"Nah." I said, and smiled at her. "The reaper might be in town, but I haven't invited him to my house yet."

She shook her head as a tear slid down her cheek. "The doctor said thirty to sixty days..."

"Then that's how long I've got to get my miracle." I said, even though the reality of the situation truthfully scared the pants off me. "I'm not willing to go down without a fight. It's just that I'm going to fight with prayer rather than radiation. God's in control. If He wants me to stick around and annoy you a little bit longer, then I will."

"And if He doesn't?"

I shrugged, forcing my smile to stay in place for her sake. "Then my curfew is up. And I expect you and Tom to throw me a legendary funeral."

Despite the subject, she smiled, just a bit. "We'll make it one for the books."

Lifting my hand, I skimmed it down her cheek. She closed her eyes as I did so, making tears fall onto my fingers, and I frowned as I wiped them away. "Summer, please don't cry for me. I can't bear it. Let me see you smile before I go."

Taking my hand, she held it against her as she sniffed. "I can't help it. I don't want to lose you."

"You haven't had me all that long."

"That's the problem. I feel like..." She trailed off, her eyes watering as she stared absently across the room. "God brought us together for a reason. And even though I've prayed, He's stealing you before that reason is fulfilled."

"No, He's not." I said. "You know how I know?"

She sniffed again and met my eyes. "How?"

"Because you just talked about God. And you've been praying. Whether you believe or not, there's a miracle right there." Taking a deep breath, I looked at our hands as I continued. "I believe that God brought us together, so I could help you with your faith." My eyes lifted to hers. "Have I?"