When You Can't Sleep

In the early hours of the morning, when the night had finally wound down and all nocturnal creatures retreated to their beds, October scampered down the hallway of the hotel breathless and shaking.

Since the night David's brothers had regained their immortality, October had settled into their routine with little complaint. In fact, she might have taken to their antics with a little too much enthusiasm...

Dawn was fast approaching by the time the Lost Boys and their witch pulled up to Hudson's bluff.

October pressed her face into the back of David's coat and let out a long, tired sigh.

The blond chuckled. "Still awake back there?"

She grumbled as she nuzzled his shoulder.

"Carry me," he heard the muffled request.

The others grinned at the two of them as they parked their respective bikes.

David glanced at October over his shoulder. "You can't make it down the steps by yourself?"

She huffed in irritation. "Can't. 'M too drunk."

"Who knew witches could be such light weights?" Marco teased.

"Rude!" she complained as David helped her off his bike.

"I mean, you guys have the alcohol tolerance of, well ..." A look of deep concentration twisted her face up as she searched for the right comparison. It was cute, but they would never say that to her face lest she hex them out of spite.

"A vampire!" she at last exclaimed victoriously, as though just finding the right word was a great triumph.

She swayed dangerously by the time she did find the word.

Dwayne was watching her closely on the off chance she toppled over, unconsciously gravitating towards her.

We have been going hard the past couple of nights, he thought to his brothers as he eyed October warily.

Yeah, but she's a witch, Paul argued. She can just brew a potion for her hangover, right?

"Hey! Are you guys doing that thing where you talk to each other telepathically so I can't hear what you're saying?" October suddenly interrupted loudly.

"We would never!" Marco laughed.

October pouted petulantly, entirely unconvinced.

David rolled his eyes and started down the rickety stairs. Tomorrow night we'll cut her off early.

"Come on. Sun's comin' up soon," he reminded them aloud.

Without warning, Marco gleefully scooped October into his arms bridal style.

"Nooo... too fast," she groaned weakly, tucking her face into the curly blond's neck. "Might throw up."

Marco grimaced. "Please don't."

She didn't remember much after that, slipping in and out of a shallow slumber as Marco carried her down into the hotel and tucked her into bed.

October did not know what possessed her to run to Paul's room when she could have gone to any of others. The thing was, she hadn't been thinking when she chose. She'd completely given herself over to her flight response and suddenly she found herself creeping into Paul's room as the adrenaline faded into a bone aching exhaustion.

The room was pitch black and she was forced to leave the door open a crack in order to see anything.

She hesitated. It wasn't too late for her to turn back, go to one of the others. Better yet, leave the hotel entirely and sleep outside on the bluff or the stairs.