What the Soul Remembers- Part 1

July, 1987 Santa Carla

In a flurry of panic the Lost Boys flew back to the hotel.

David cradled an unconscious October in his arms the entire way to October's room. He had to remind himself several times that she wasn't dead, only sleeping. At least, he was pretty sure she was sleeping.

Actually he had no idea what she had done to herself. His head was spinning with the witches words.

This is a surefire way to find out what the hell I'm doing here in this time. You have to trust me, okay?

Yeah. Okay. Easier said than done.

The others nervously paced around as he carefully placed her onto the fourposter. He leaned against one of the posts and aggressively tugged a pack of smokes from his jacket pocket. The movement was reflexive and comforting as he tapped out a stick and lit it.

"David?" Marco's small voice pierced the heavy silence.

David took a long drag and glanced at him.

The impish boy was staring at him with big round, scared eyes. "What do we do now?"

Paul and Dwayne were also looking to him for answers. David wasn't sure how to tell them that he didn't have any.

Another long drag from his cig bought him a few seconds to deliberate. It wasn't enough time. At all.

"She told us to trust her. So now we wait for her to come out of whatever witchy spell she put herself under," he at last declared.

He couldn't believe what their lives had turned into.

Somehow they had landed in a kid's fucked up fairytale where the witch is the one who gets cursed. Did that make David the knight in shining armour who saved the day? Or was he the dumb dragon that gets in the heroes way?

David was so far out of his wheelhouse here.

"What if she never comes out of it?" Dwayne, ever the pragmatist, wanted to know.

"Dude," Paul admonished, shaking his head.

Meanwhile, David didn't even want to consider the thought.

"For now we wait. See what happens."

>^^<

April, 1906 Santa Carla

Between one step and the next, Rose Eastey found herself standing at long last in Santa Carla's most popular new resort. As soon as Rose entered the lavishly decorated grand foyer of the resort, she breathed a sigh of relief, the tension in her body loosening ever so slightly.

Finally, she thought to herself in exasperation.

The entire journey had been nothing short of a nightmare as her family was delayed a number of times throughout the day, costing them several hours they could have reached their destination sooner.

Night had already fallen some time ago and the foyer was blessedly quiet as her mother and her new step-father checked in at the front desk. Meanwhile, she lingered by the pile of luggage by the hotel's entrance wondering how long it would be before she could sink into a comfortable bed.

"Can I carry that for you?" someone asked her, startling her.

Rose blinked rapidly as she turned to face a bellhop gesturing to the small trunk at her feet. He beamed at her, appearing far more energetic in the late hour than she was feeling at the moment.

She cleared her throat. "Yes, thank you."

He and another bellhop proceeded to load up her family's luggage onto a cart as she stood awkwardly to the side, simply observing them, too tired to bother with idle chat. They were both young, blond, and had blue eyes. The one who had spoken to her had fluffy curls and Romanesque features. The other was taller and possessed the sharpest jawline Rose had ever seen. All and all they both undeniably handsome.