Incident 2

Several nights later, Fitz joined Sophie on the dock again. They sat in silence for a while, and then Sophie broke the silence.

"Why are you awake so late again? It's really not good for you to routinely stay up late."

Fitz snorted. "You're one to talk. But tonight I was up late because my thoughts were going a billion miles an hour." Not a lie, he was just omitting the fact that he couldn't sleep because he was wondering if Sophie had really said she loved him.

Sophie heard Fitz come down and join her on the dock again. She didn't mind, but she didn't want him to fall into the habit she herself had of staying up too late and therefore not getting enough sleep. So she broke the silence.

"Why are you awake so late again? It's really not good for you to routinely stay up late." She immediately regretted the last sentence, because she was condemning the very thing that she did routinely.

Fitz snorted. "You're one to talk. But tonight I was up late because my thoughts were going a billion miles an hour."

Sophie inwardly sighed. She could tell that there was something he was omitting from that statement, but she didn't push him. She didn't want to ruin what had started with these late night moments. So she reached over, took his hand, and said, "I'm sorry that your thoughts kept you from sleeping. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know." And with that statement, along with the bold move of taking his hand, her cheeks got a light blush that she fought back, which was thankfully successful.

Fitz had hoped he'd get a chance to hold Sophie's hand again. So when she was bold enough to reach over and take his hand, he was surprised, but also thankful. He wished he could take Sophie up on her offer of helping him, but that would mean telling her how he felt, so that was off the table. As she finished talking, he noticed that she blushed for a second, and he smiled a little bit. She was adorable when she blushed and tried to hide it.

Sophie didn't want to go back to silence just yet. But she didn't quite know what to say to keep the conversation going. So she was relieved when Fitz seemed to understand what she was feeling and asked her to talk about something special from her human life.

"Ooh, tough one," she said. "Have you ever heard of Harry Potter?"

"I think I saw that name around," Fitz said. "What is Harry Potter?"

Sophie gasped in mock surprise. "Well, if you don't know, Harry Potter is a book series written from 1997 on, where the main character is, obviously, Harry Potter." Sophie went on to explain the whole plot of the first book, except for the part about Quirrell having Voldemort in the back of his head, saying, "You have to read the book to find out. I'll convince Mr. Forkle to let me get the series from a bookstore in the Forbidden Cities."

After Sophie had left him on such an awful cliffhanger, Fitz had no choice but to insist he come and ask Mr. Forkle as well.

Sophie laughed, and said, "We can go ask him tomorrow." They fell into a comfortable silence after that, and Fitz knew that they were getting closer during these short late night sessions than most of the Cognate exercises.

Sophie was so happy that she and Fitz seemed to be getting even closer, and it wasn't forced like the Cognate exercises. She smiled to herself, and started to lean on Fitz again.

Fitz smiled to himself when Sophie started to lean on him. After a while, Fitz asked, "What did you think of the moon the other night?"

Sophie took a second to respond, but when she did, she said, "My last thought before I fell asleep was, 'The moon sure is beautiful tonight.'" What about you?

Fitz laughed quietly. He'd had the same thought after he'd tucked her in.

"Why are you laughing?" Sophie asked.

"I'd thought the same thing after I brought you back to bed," he said. They lapsed into silence again, and soon enough, Sophie was asleep. Fitz smiled, because knowing that she got to sleep was more relaxing than confirmation of her feelings toward him. He once again carried her to bed, used telekinesis to pull down the covers, and tucked her in with Ella securely in her arms. He once again leaned down and gave her a kiss on the forehead, lingering slightly longer than the last time. She didn't wake up, but he knew that she was tired, and was therefore relieved that she was sleeping well. The only thing he failed to notice was Sandor, watching from his post in the corner of the room, utilizing the skills Grizel had taught him to remain unseen.

Sandor smiled to himself. He wouldn't admit it to anyone but himself, but he loved the idea of Sophie and Fitz getting together.

A/N: sorry this one is a bit shorter... I still think it's super cute and fluffy! Constructive criticism is appreciated as this is my first fanfic. Once more, I am not Shannon Messenger... otherwise Sophitz would have been a thing wayyyyy sooner and not whatever it has become... anyways I reserve no rights to this blah blah blah characters aren't mine etc... happy reading!