Incident 5

Several nights passed, and Sophie and Fitz were down on the dock again. For a long while they just sat in silence, but eventually Fitz spoke.

"Sophie, do you trust me?" he asked.

"Of course, Fitz. How could I not?" she replied.

Sophie heard Fitz take a deep breath, and then he asked her, "Will you close your eyes?"

Sophie closed her eyes, still facing him, and started to wonder what sort of trust exercise this was. It couldn't be any different from the other ones, right? But as she sensed his body moving closer, and felt his breath on her cheek, she realized what he was going to do. Fitz slowly and deliberately pressed his lips against her cheek. She didn't know how long, but it felt like forever in the best way. Yet all too soon, Fitz pulled away, leaving Sophie suddenly feeling much colder. Sophie smiled, opened her eyes, and turned to look at Fitz.

Fitz took a deep breath to help build up courage for what he was about to do. "Will you close your eyes?"

He saw her close her eyes, and knew that she was a little confused from the way she held herself, and how her face crinkled slightly. He smiled to himself, and started to lean forward, towards Sophie, so she could stop him if she wanted to. But she didn't, and he pressed his lips to her cheek. Time did weird things, and still it was too soon when he pulled away. He watched Sophie anxiously, but relaxed as she smiled the widest smile he'd seen on her face in a long time before she looked at him.

Sophie met Fitz' beautiful teal eyes again. The moon was once again full, it had been a full lunar cycle since that first night when they had come down to the dock. While keeping eye contact with him, she leaned towards him. Only at the last second, after he had closed his eyes, did she close hers and press her lips against his. It once more seemed to last forever and not long enough when she pulled away, face blazing, but so completely happy that she didn't care.

Fitz knew what she was going to do from the moment she started to lean toward him. He maintained eye contact until she got close, then closed his eyes right before her lips pressed against his. The kiss was gentle and sweet, and their lips fit together like two pieces of a puzzle. Time did weird stuff again. And again, when she pulled away, it hadn't been long enough. He opened his eyes, and saw that her face was burning red, but had the best smile upon it. It was one of her rare, uncontrolled smiles that only appeared when she was truly happy, not when she felt like others needed to believe that she was happy. And he loved it.

So Fitz reached over and gently pulled Sophie to lean against him, and they watched the lake. He turned his head to kiss her hair every so often, and there was one time when he stole a quick kiss, but soon enough Sophie was asleep on his shoulder, and he carried her to bed. As he started to tuck her in, Sandor stepped out from his post in the shadows. Fitz froze.

"Great," he thought. "Sandor probably saw us kissing down on the dock, and now he's never going to let us go anywhere alone. Or worse, he'll give us a talk. Ugh." But Sandor just smiled and gestured to the bed, in a silent "I trust you." It meant more than Fitz wanted to admit, and so he slipped under the covers with Sophie, feeling more secure than ever.

Sandor was secretly dying inside. "They kissed!!! Oh my gnome they actually kissed!! I thought it would take so much longer than that," he thought/fangirled inwardly. But he was also simply happy, as his ship had sailed at long last.

Sophie woke up the next morning in Fitz' arms, and rather than look at Sandor, she just quietly re-lived the events of the previous night. Fitz had kissed her, and then she'd kissed him! She snuggled deeper into his arms and exhaled a breath she hadn't known she was holding. Soon enough she was dozing in his arms once more, and all seemed to be right in the world. "Thank heavens that Keefe is off on a mission right now, or we wouldn't hear the end of this," she thought. But Fitz responded.

"True enough. Did you mean to transmit that?" he asked.

Sophie flushed. "I hope I didn't wake you up," she transmitted, this time on purpose.

"I've actually been awake for about the last 10 minutes. But rather than get up, I chose to stay here... with you." He added that last part as an afterthought, but it meant so much. They laid in bed for a while, each lost in their own thoughts, and content to just be in the others presence.

The end.

A/N: we are back to long again! Over 800 words! That was the final chapter of Incidents, and I hope you enjoyed it! Constructive criticism is appreciated! If you've made it this far (and if you have... THANK YOU) please consider following me. Thank you for reading! And, you know I have to... I am not Shannon Messenger... otherwise Sophitz would have been a thing wayyyyy sooner and not whatever it has become... anyways I reserve no rights to this blah blah blah characters aren't mine etc... love you guys!