Part 2

"Excuse me, I'm sorry to interrupt, but I'm a bit lost... It's my first day here, kind of, and I'm looking for a history class with someone named mr Ramson. This doesn't happen to be it, does it?" Caitlin blurted out. It was funny how someone who had lost their memory could still be the same person. Caitlin had always talked way too much and way too fast when she was stressed or nervous and clearly, that hadn't changed a bit.

"Actually Caitlin, this happens to be it" mr Ramson said with an amused smile. "Welcome back, you can sit down next to June." Caitlin looked confused as she looked out over the class. At first I didn't understand why, but then I remembered, she doesn't know who I am. I decided to help her in her confusion, so I smiled and waved at her. She seemed to get the hint and started walking towards me. When she had sat down the lesson continued. Luckily, Mr Ramson seemed to have forgotten my disability to answer his question from earlier, which was good, since I hadn't paid attention at all.

The classroom got empty as soon as the bell rang despite mr Ramson's attempt to tell us that he ended the lesson, not the bell. I didn't rush to get out of the classroom though. I slowly put my books back into my bag, hoping that I might get a chance to talk to Caitlin, who was the only one left in the classroom besides me.

"You coming?" I asked her with a kind smile.

"Uh, yeah. Of course," she answered, sounding insecure. Her insecurity hurt me a bit. Things had never been awkward between us and I didn't want her memory loss to change that.

"So, what's your next class?" I said as we walked out of the classroom, trying to keep the conversation going.

"English, I think. What about you?"

"Spanish." Our stiff conversation continued for a couple of minutes as we walked through the hallways towars our next classes. Then, suddenly she asked me something.

"Uh, June, is it?" I nodded. "Can I ask a question? Who are you?" Ouch, that hurt. Of course I had known that she wouldn't remember me, but there had still been a tiny part of me that wished she would.

"Oh, right! I'm so sorry! I forgot you don't know," I said, trying hard to sound normal. "I'm June and we used to be friends," I put a smile on my face.

"Okay, hi June. Nice to meet you, I guess," she smiled back.