Chapter 3: How good are your surgical skills?

They were getting back in the car when he felt it. A sharp sting against his shoulder. Then one at his side.

Logan scented the air, his hand tight on the car door handle as he shifted in the passenger seat.

Now another in his arm. His vision started getting fuzzy as he let out a low growl.

"Logan?" Max frowned, reaching out to him. "Ow!"

She then slumped over in her seat.

Logan, frustrated that he hadn't been able to track a telltale scent, turned to look down at her.

Fuck. She's already in now, whether she wants to be or not.

He began clenching and unclenching his hands, hoping that his healing factor would burn the tranqs out quickly. He felt somewhat groggy, but was still capable of fighting if it came down to it. And it looked like that was definitely in the cards in the next few minutes. At least the retrieval team wasn't immediately going for the kill. They wouldn't be using the darts, otherwise.

Logan relaxed back into the seat, closing his eyes; playing 'possum. Perhaps this group hadn't believed everything they'd been told about previous encounters with him. He hoped not. It would give him the advantage he needed. Through slitted eyes, he watched as several men in forest camouflage slowly crept towards them. Two broke off in flanking positions, making their way around the back of the car. The other two kept their weapons trained on him as they edged closer. He couldn't chance Max getting hit again. Logan knew that he could take a fair barrage of bullets, but he didn't know how much damage her healing could counteract. As she stirred beside him, he hoped that she would provide enough of a distraction for him to take the other two out.

***

Max frowned as she craned her neck to look up at Logan, who now appeared to have passed out in the passenger seat. She was still a little dazed. It was almost as if she was experiencing the afteraffects of a drug of some kind. The feeling was rapidly fading.

What the hell?

"The girl's up. Move in and close them down. Now."

The voice had come from off to her left and she frowned, her eyes narrowing to slits. The wolf urged her to action and Max quickly responded, opening the door with all her strength and slamming it into one of the soldiers who'd taken it upon himself to peer into her window. The man flew ten yards back into the brush as Max then ripped the door from its hinges, using it to slap the other soldier back into the woods

Several painfully loud fireworks and a roar sounded off to her right. She turned in time to see Logan spring from the car, his claws popping out with a distinctive sound as they sheared cleanly through the barrels of the weapons the soldiers before him were holding. Pieces of metal dropped to the ground; the grass starting to smoke beneath them.

Both men went sheet white before Logan slammed his claws into their chests with another roar, forcing both of them to the ground.

Max yelped out as something sharp and hot slammed into her leg. She then heard a loud crack.

Something inside her shifted and she screamed as her body responded, forcing her into dire form.

One of the men she'd thrown back was now pointing a pistol at her and she dodged as she felt something whip by her ear.

Shit! Did he just shoot me?

In moments, she was at the man's side, laying his dominant arm open with four deep slashes. He immediately dropped the pistol and began shrieking as she moved in closer, taking his scent in. Were these the same guys that had hurt Logan in the first place? The ones who had left him here?

Chance Encounter - Wolverine/X-Men Fanficजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें