Chapter 10: We need to start using the codenames

Logan watched Max as she slid into a deeper sleep, eager to get going. He didn't want to drag this out any longer than he had to, and he was agitated about getting on the road; finding the place that would hopefully bring the fragments of his memory back together again. Back to Canada.

Still – she'd gotten under his skin.

Bad.

He brushed his knuckles softly across her cheek and she smiled, her body shifting beneath the covers. Would she understand him just taking off, or would she be pissed at him? Hard to say.

Easier this way, though, he thought to himself as he slowly stood up, so as not to wake her.

He dressed, then took one last look back at her before he let himself out, quietly closing the door behind him.

"So you're just going to leave her?"

He flinched at the sound of the now familiar voice, looking over to see Jean standing in the hallway, her arms crossed.

"What the fuck is it to you?" he snapped, turning and heading for the stairs.

"And how'd you know I was leavin'?"

"Professor Xavier notified me earlier."

Jean set her jaw, her eyes flashing angrily. "Don't you even care about her?"

Logan looked back at her as if she'd grown two heads.

"Lady – what exactly is it with you and shoving yer nose in everybody else's business? Is that a telepath thing, or are you just a bitch on principle?"

Jean's mouth turned down into an ugly frown, her tone snotty now.

"You've been nothing but trouble since you got here. Perhaps she's better off."

Logan let out an incredulous laugh as he started walking downstairs.

"Un-fucking-believeable," he muttered.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Jean stood at the top of the stairs, her hands on her hips.

"Figure it out, crazy bitch." he muttered as he strode across the foyer.

"Fucking psycho." she growled, continuing to follow him.

He whirled on her, his expression empty as he growled, "Look. I don't know what you think is gonna happen here, but you need to back the fuck off. Now."

She opened her mouth to reply, then seemed to lose steam entirely. She actually took a stumbling step back.

He turned to open the front door and she said, "Don't go."

Logan turned to face her, angry now.

"You stink of fear. You're terrified of me. Why the hell would you want me to stay?

Jean winced, her expression confused and nervous now.

Christ. He hated when Max was right. He let out a heavy sigh.

Yeah. Stupid question.

"Just..make sure she stays safe." he murmured, looking up for a brief moment before stepping outside.

Jean moved to close the door as she watched him walk out to the main gate.

"Be careful, Logan." she whispered, both irritated and frustrated that she was worried about him.

***

Max brushed her teeth, unsurprised that Logan hadn't been there when she woke up. It was probably the best way to have handled it, though. She had never been fond of long goodbyes either.