Chapter 23: It's really better if you don't know. It'd only embarrass him.

Max woke with a dull cramping in her stomach. She frowned and placed her hand on her belly.

There was a sudden surge in her throat and she leapt up, making it to the bathroom just in time. The sensation of throwing up had never been a pleasant one, and for some reason it terrified her. There was something that just felt inherently wrong about it.

"Jesus! Max!" Logan was immediately by her side, holding her hair back as she clutched at the sides of the toilet bowl.

Once her stomach was empty, she took huffing breaths to try to reorient herself. The taste was wretched. Max reached up to flush the toilet and Logan handed her a towel to wipe her face off. She sat back as Logan held his hand against her forehead, checking her temperature.

"You done?" he murmured.

Max nodded weakly.

Logan picked her up and carried her back over to the bed, checking her over. Max felt a dull pain blossom in her head and she groaned.

***

Once away from the sharp sting of sickness in the bathroom, Logan recognized a familiar smell. He froze and stared down at her.

Oh shit.

Max frowned and looked over at him, her voice husky as she asked, "What's wrong?"

Of all the things that had happened in the last year and a half, this was the one thing he was least prepared for.

"You're pregnant." he croaked, startled.

Max paused for a moment, then gave him a weak smile.

"Thank god. I thought something was actually wrong there for a minute.

Logan blinked, then murmured, "Wait – you're okay with this?"

Max gave a weak chuckle and replied, "We've been having unprotected sex since we met, Logan. It had to happen sometime."

Logan sat on the bed next to her, lost in thought. A father? The idea seemed almost laughable. There was still so much about his past, about himself that he didn't know – and he still had an elaborate mystery to unravel concerning the people that kept coming after him. He was just getting used to the idea of Max being a permanent fixture, but a kid? His own kid?

He felt Max's light touch on his arm and flinched, knocked out of his train of thought.

"Are you okay with this?" she asked, her tone soft.

He looked back over at her, his brow creased with uncertainty.

"I don't know."

She gently pulled him into bed with her, murmuring, "C'mon. Let's get back to sleep. We'll figure this out later, okay?"

Logan slid in beside her, pulling her close. He honestly didn't know what to think. A man like him didn't have the faculties for this kinda thing. Give him an opponent, an army to go up against – and he'd be fine. Fighting, tracking, killing – these were the things he was most intimate with. The things he was best at. He may not remember much about his past – about who he'd been, but this he knew in his bones. It came naturally to him, and he was as much an artist with the craft as a master sculptor or metalworker.

How had his life gotten so completely fucked in a little over half a year?

There was no way he could stay on the run with a mate and a kid. He'd get them both killed. Not to mention that there would now be two individuals that could directly be used against him. Not a good position for someone of his particular skillset to be in.