Chapter 21: Can I at least hit her? Just once?

"Wait, you want us to go where?"

Xavier patiently explained, "The Ust-Ordynski Collective in Siberia."

"Siberia. As in Russia." Jean murmured, floored.

Xavier nodded and continued, "I am aware that Scott is currently recuperating – again."

Max watched the Professor glance briefly at Logan who simply crossed his arms. "..and so will be unable to lead the mission, but this is a particularly time sensitive retrieval."

Jean frowned and asked, "Who do you expect to lead the team?"

With the 'fearless leader' out of commission, the only other person that Max could think of would be Ororo. She looked over to see the woman watching the proceedings with the same quiet, inscrutable expression that she wore the majority of the time. She seemed to be damn near unflappable.

Max wondered if she'd ever witness the woman lose her temper. She then quickly hoped that she never would.

"I believe that Miss Munroe is more than well equipped to lead a mission of this nature."

Professor Xavier gave Ororo a respectful nod.

Max watched the woman's eyes widen briefly. The announcement had surprised her.

"Why am I here?" Logan asked, leaning back against a bookshelf.

Xavier looked over at him and explained, "I'd like you and Max to accompany Jean and Ororo in case they run into trouble, however, we want to avoid the possibility of an international incident."

Logan raised an eyebrow and met the professor's gaze, his tone mild as he rumbled, "Yeah, why the hell not. Better'n sittin' around waitin' for answers."

He stepped away from the bookshelf, uncrossing his arms and sliding his hands into the front pockets of his jeans.

Max looked over at him with a wary expression as Xavier handed Ororo a folder. Jean watched the exchange with interest as she stood on the side of the room opposite from Logan. She didn't look pleased. Whether it was over Logan going with them or Ororo being chosen to lead in Scott's place, it was hard to tell.

At least she was staying quiet – a rare thing indeed.

"I'd like to give Ororo some time to review the scope of the mission before she decides how she's going to proceed with it. I do, however, want you in the air and on your way within the next two hours."

The professor gave Ororo another single, respectful nod as the rest of them began filing out of his office.

Logan followed behind Max, placing her between him and Jean.

"This should be fun, eh?" he mused with a sour expression. "Christ, I need a beer."

***

Max walked up to Scott and Jean's room, gently rapping on the door. She wanted to check in with him before they headed out – mostly because she wanted to see how badly Logan had jacked him up. Surely it couldn't be..

Max gasped as Scott opened the door, wincing and holding a hand against his ribs.

"Oh my god."

He looked as if he'd decided to let somebody use him as a club to beat the crap out of somebody else. His face and arms were covered in ugly black, purple and greenish-yellow bruising, and the side of his cheek near his eye was swelling to an alarming degree.

Scott responded with a weak laugh and nodded. "Yeah. Pretty bad, huh?"

Max winced and said, "No wonder Jean lost her shit."