Chapter Fourteen

Unedited. And it's LONG. 23 pages in Word, just FYI. :)

Chapter Fourteen

The baby was unharmed and untouched at her maternal grandparents's brownstone.

Paris and Karovska had dropped her off earlier that morning so they could have a much needed "date day" by themselves. Who knew that was a thing? The last time they checked in with the grandparents was around noon and nothing seemed amiss. The lack of communication from the couple had worried Paris's mother but not to the point she suspected something was amiss.

Until the couple missed the bedtime FaceTime.

I was officially traumatized.

Especially when the rest of the apartments turned out to be just as grizzly. Each one had a dead, half-shifted super model, lying posed in the center of the living area.

All except Virginia King.

No one had the heart to tell her all her friends were dead. Parker got the basics from her before releasing her into the care of her fiancé. Thankfully, I didn't have to see any of—that. I was too busy processing everything else.

Canning and Amare asked Parker to call the Guild for help processing all the crime scenes. They didn't have the right amount of people readily available and quite frankly, they didn't want any piece of evidence to detail missed because they were short-handed. The killer took out five people this go round and it was—controlled chaos to say the least. Canning, Amare, and I moved from scene to scene, trying to take it all in but by the third one, my headache had gotten so bad I couldn't see out of my left eye.

So I took a break in the hall, somewhere not labeled as evidence, and hoped this would get better so I could be of some use.

Luke stood with me, not impressed with my insistence that I would be ok. A few of my fellow Guild members had given me curious looks when they saw me just standing there, a few were even brave enough to ask if I was feeling ok.

Thankfully, Gregori hadn't come to the scene since the Guild didn't have control of it but Jesse and David showed up. Both checked in with me and Parker before taking a look at Capri Paris' apartment. Quite a few Slayers had to take a break from that particular scene, one in particular looked like he would vomit.

"You need to call it a night," Luke whispered. "I know you want to stay and help but your body is literally telling you enough is enough."

I didn't respond. Instead I continued to massage my temples with my eyes closed, the fluorescents in the hallway way too bright. Luke was right, I knew that, but my pride told me I needed to trudge through and do my job. I couldn't let a little sight-stealing migraine stop me from helping.

I felt Michael as he moved around the apartment building, knew he was stepping in for me as I stood there doing nothing. He'd been the one standing around with Luke until I came out here. So I felt him as he maneuvered through the last apartment, came out and down the hall, then stopping in front of me.

"Tell her she needs to go home," Luke hissed.

I didn't need to see it in order to know Michael shot him a look that wasn't kind. Time hadn't changed their dynamic but as an adult, I could now find it all a bit funny. I also knew that look was Michael's way of letting Luke know he needed to give me some space. My Guardian sighed and walked away, only going far enough so I didn't feel like I was suffocating.

Michael brushed my hands away and took over the massaging.

"You ok?" he asked quietly.

I sighed and told him the truth, I can't see out my left eye.