Chapter Nineteen

Unedited.

Chapter Nineteen

I'm not a fan of being kidnapped, not sure many people are. It involves getting knocked unconscious at some point and being unwillingly whisked away to an unknown location. It's seriously inconvenient and often ends disastrously. During my time with the Guild, I've voluntarily been kidnapped eight times, unwillingly twice. Normally, I enjoy kicking people's asses and rescuing myself. I like to prove I can take care of business any chance I get. The bad guys never expect a woman to take them down or that one can handle dangerous situations and come out on top. People expect the "damsel in distress" and when they get me, the opposite tends to happen.

People are weird.

This time wasn't necessarily voluntary, but I knew the possibility existed when I walked out on that patio. So, no need to ask myself how I ended up here, wherever here was. I already knew. This happened because I wanted the case over with. Best way to do that: dangle the worm and wait for the bite.

I remained still upon waking, trying to take stalk of where I was, how I was. For the most part, he hadn't roughed me up more, just secured me to a chair. Blood ran down not only the side of my head but also the back of my neck, signaling he'd found the tracker, but by the feel of it, the one in my arm remained.

And Michael—

He caressed my mental bubble, happy that I was awake now. He wouldn't settle into my head because he needed to be firmly in his own to do what needed to be done next. Αγάπη.

Hey, handsome. I tried to blink but as it turned out, I was blindfolded. Can't see anything.

Doesn't matter, his voice sounded calm. Everyone's on their way. Should be there in—five/ten minutes.

Why the delay?

The Gorilla knocked the shit out of Luke, fractured his skull and broke his jaw.

Damn. We had something in common. Is he ok?

Sporting a wounded ego but other than that, he's fine. Wanna tell me why you're at an address three blocks from the Guild?

What's the address? He rattled off a street and apartment number that sounded vaguely familiar. When it clicked, I couldn't help the Well shit! as it floated through my head. I'm at Gregori's apart—the blindfold was yanked off my head and I blinked up at the Gorilla –Oh, hello. He didn't stay in my view, though, and moved away.

The world was really, really bright and it took me a few blinks to get everything coming in clear instead of blurry around the edges. As I swiveled my eyes around, because I found moving my head was impossible, I discovered the majority of Gregori's apartment remained the same. The furniture, the minimalist decorating, the kitchen...movement came from directly in front of me, catching my attention. I zeroed in on the source to find the other captive in the room. Brown hair, strong build, familiar face, blue eyes. I tried not to react but I couldn't stop the slight widening of my eyes as he blinked at me, completely pissed off. Shit.

What?

You're going to have to get here quicker than the Guild. I'm staring at Aleksei.

A low bout of laughter vibrated in my head, no humor at all. What a tangled web we weave.

Aleksei was similarly tied to a chair but where I'd been blindfolded, he was gagged and remained that way. Neither of us could turn our heads away from the other as he'd secured us in place with wide metal bands, curved to fit securely. Arms were clamped down on metal armrests and after jerking a little, I felt needle pricks against my wrists, forearms, the back of my thighs, and ankles.