Chapter 2

Third person pov

Atlantis had never met a human before. Though he was alone now, his school had always warned him to stay away from them at all costs. His little pod of merfolk had been made up of around fifteen when he was younger, all of them staying tightly knit and close together at all times. They'd been traveling around and about, never stopping for too long for fear of being found. Those times were happier, full of sea-shell collecting and days spent peeking out of the water at night and watching dolphins leap from the water, doing flips and other tricks that made laughter bubble up in his chest.

Now, he found himself alone, separated from the family he knew and loved. It had been like that a few years, him being unable to find them, but always searching nonetheless. Besides! It's not like he was... completely by himself. The whales let him sleep on their backs, lulling him to sleep with old bedtime stories shared in quiet whispers. The sharks were gruff but polite nonetheless, griping about the dolphins, and how they never took anything seriously. Sea Turtles were laid back but almost always up for a conversation, and salmon would sing jaunty tunes as a group as they swam along. They always cheered when Atlantis joined in, swarming around him and making him laugh as bubbles flew about in the excited vortex.

He wasn't terribly old, but he was old enough to know. To know that humans were dangerous, and that they killed. He'd witnessed it first hand plenty of times before. There was absolutely no reason for him to be approaching one now, knowing what they were capable of. The humans he'd seen had possessed terrifying powers. Ones his parents spoke and warned him of. The ability to stretch their limbs beyond what most were capable, or the capacity to shoot fire from their hands. He was sure their skills stretched beyond that, but those were what he'd witnessed himself. 

Still, he couldn't help but yearn. Merfolk too had the capacity to harm. They were powerful creatures, most of them possessing abilities of their own that would make probably even humans quiver with fear in some instances. They were masters of the sea, defensive and ready to take down anything that threatened them and their existence. Humans, possibly, were the same way. The knowledge they had on mer-people was clearly limited. Maybe their intentions weren't necessarily malicious, but instead scared. Merfolk feared the unknown. Did humans as well?

Seldom did Atlantis ever come near land. The ocean was dirtier there, with more trash and sicker animals. He did his best to help heal them with what he knew. His parents had taught him well. While his father had been a warrior, his mother had always been a healer. He'd gotten that from her. His abilities weren't offensive or defensive. They helped, meant to protect and aid. His mother and father had always been proud of him for that. His school, too. 

There was something here near this plot of earth that called to him. He didn't know why or what it was, but it was drawing him in. Something in his chest stirred ever so slightly. It was enough for him to wander that direction, having nowhere else to go. He was tired of wandering, lost and without his fellow mer to convene with. Currently, the group of amberjack fish he'd been with had swam here alongside him. This was what humans called a cove. An indent in the earth, creating a sheltered portion of the coast that was closed off from the rest of the shoreline. It was secluded, and they claimed they'd been there plenty of times with no issues. Never had they had fishermen come to this part, they assured. Atlantis had taken them at their word. And honestly, they hadn't lied. The man before him had no pole or hook of any kind. No nets, or other gear to secure the capture of any of the local sea life.

Atlantis had seen humans before. Mostly aboard the hulking vessels they called boats, but at times he'd seen them in their underwater gear, climbing across the ocean floor with their large boxes that would produce flashes of light that momentarily eliminated the darkness. He was never sure what their purpose was, but he knew they didn't seem to hurt the creatures the light was aimed at. He'd always watch from a distance anyway, he and his family tucked beneath rocks and buried down in the sands, hiding in plain sight, yet never being seen. Those times were simultaneously the most terrifying and the most interesting.