Chapter 22

Third person pov

Hitoshi stayed over. They were up all night just talking and laughing. Atlantis stayed as close to Shota was possible, the new marks on his arms pulling him back towards his new husband. Aizawa didn't mind in the slightest. If he had it his way, his arm would never unwrap itself from around Atlantis' waist. He felt beyond elated. He didn't even know what to call this level of happiness. It was the kind where you couldn't stop smiling. He felt like he'd be happy forever, so long as Atlantis was here by his side. He just... He never wanted this to end. This was it for him. This was everything he could ever want and more.

Aizawa never imagined he'd have this. It had never crossed his mind. He hadn't even thought about it before meeting Atlantis. It was so out of the realm of possibility, he didn't consider it. Not falling in love, and certainly not marriage. He wasn't the type to pin himself down to a single person. Or he hadn't thought he was until now, anyway. Atlantis was different. He'd follow him to the ends of the Earth if that's what was needed. Cheesy, sappy, and completely unlike him, but true.

"Watch, watch." Atlantis said, breathless with giggles. Aizawa raised a brow at him as he grabbed both his hands, the same way they'd done during the ceremony. It shot fresh tingles down his spine. This was truly a peculiar and unexpected day. Would they have gotten this, had they not found Hitoshi? Aizawa wasn't sure, but he was glad they'd found the teen either way. He clearly meant the world to Atlantis. 

"What am I watching?" Aizawa questioned, glancing at Hitoshi. The teen hadn't stopped grinning since he got here despite how exhausted he looked. Shota remembered him from the entrance exam. Tired and disheartened, he hadn't made it into the hero course due to his inability to do much against the robots during the physical test. He looked like an entirely different person now, laughing alongside them.

"Just wait." Hitoshi seemed excited, eyes focused on their arms.

That was another thing. The tattoos were... weird. They felt alive in a way Shota couldn't fully explain. They were comforting, and Shota felt at home everytime he looked at them. They were gorgeously intricate, full of tribal shapes. He was sure each one represented an important aspect of their marriage, which only made them all the more special. He was quickly growing accustomed to the new connection he had with Atlantis. It was something he already cherished despite not having had it long.

"There." Atlantis smiled. When Shota met his eyes, they were glowing a soft blue. When he looked down, the tattoos were too.

It was a warm feeling. A comforting heat one wouldn't normally associate with the ocean pooled through the markings comfortably, making Aizawa's shoulders droop as his muscles all untensed. Atlantis noticeably relaxed as well, squeezing his hands. Shota squeezed back. It felt like warm honey running through his veins. Or maybe like a hug. It wasn't something Aizawa could actually place. It was too unique a sensation to be anything else. 

"What is it?" Shota asked quietly. As though raising his voice might make the entire thing stop. 

"Your love." Hitoshi said, sounding wistful just talking about it. Shota felt his heart lighten. Merfolk truly were in a league of their own. Quirks were special and different, but this had to be magic. There wasn't anything else it could be! It was too... Shota didn't know. Maybe that's why it was so whimsical. There was an unknown factor that couldn't be explained. 

"It feels different for everyone." Atlantis explained. "Ours feels soft and warm, don't you think?"

"Yeah." Shota answered immediately, feeling oddly like he might cry. "It does."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They all walked to UA together the next morning. Shota and Atlantis held hands the whole way, talking with Hitoshi and catching up on things. Aizawa wasn't nearly as smiley, but anyone who looked at him would be able to tell how happy he was. It shone vividly through his eyes, which adamantly focused on his husband and the tired teen Aizawa was pretty sure they were about to adopt. He was family, after all. Shota wouldn't just abandon him, and Atlantis most definitely wouldn't either.