15 Confessions

H A R P E R

Max's car was missing from our driveway when I woke the next morning. He left a note taped to the refrigerator that he was with Beretta. He asked my parents if he could pick up anything while he was out. And as I ate my breakfast I got a text with a picture of Beretta and her ball. Max and Beretta both looked so happy. Her tongue hung out the side of her mouth and he kissed her nose. I wished I was there with them.

I bite my thumbnail. I needed advice and I needed it fast. I texted Lexi and Tyler to meet me at the park by Lexi's house at noon. A minute after that my itchy fingers texted Krystal asking if she could meet me for coffee. I wasn't dating Chance, but we had expressed mutual attraction and now I was taking it back for someone else. There had to be a delicate way to handle that. Krystal had been such a font of knowledge for my date, maybe she could help me navigate this storm too. I went into the basement to play Fortress Siege while I waited for someone to get back to me.

To my surprise, Krystal texted me back first. She said to meet her in twenty at the coffee house in downtown Cedar Creek. I left a note under Max's that I would be back later. I grabbed a few bucks from my parents' petty cash jar and headed out.

The morning was cool. I didn't need anything heavier than the long-sleeved plaid button-down I'd thrown on, but from this point forward I'd have to start checking the weather daily to make sure I dressed appropriately.

The walk to our town's downtown area was not far from my house, about a mile. Sunday mornings in Cedar Creek were pretty quiet. Most people were still at church or sleeping. The entire walk I saw one car pass me. A few joggers or people walking their dogs were out, but it was peaceful. I liked the solitude and the cooling air gave me a chance to clear my head.

The coffee house, You Mocha Me Crazy, had one barista on duty and one customer inside reading the newspaper at a table. The smell of French toast filled the air and I breathed in deep, filling my lungs with the smooth aroma. Local artists had pictures and paintings all over the walls, some were even for sale. I had thought about bringing some of my pieces in. There was a whole wall of pencil and charcoal pieces, but I always lost my nerve. Instead, I settled for looking at other people's artwork. I'd find my courage one day or maybe the universe would just do it for me. Unlikely, but I could dream.

Krystal arrived five minutes after me. She was dressed in pink spandex pants and a black tank top. Her long hair was pulled into a ponytail and she was covered in a sheen of sweat.

"Did I interrupt your morning run?" I asked, going up to the counter.

"No, I'm going after this. I just jogged here from my house." She motioned for me to order first.

"I'll have a mocha latte and I'll pay for whatever she's getting."

"Green tea with lemon, please. Thanks for the drink."

The barista took my name and we took a seat near the front door. I fidgeted as we sat. Had I made a mistake? Krystal talked, to just about everyone, but I needed advice and I didn't think Lexi and Tyler could provide what I needed.

"So, what do I owe the honor of your company so early on a Sunday?" Krystal lifted an eyebrow. "Things not go as planned with Chance? There are no refunds for my advice."

"No, things went fine." I bobbed my head back and forth trying to decide how to phrase my problem. "I need this kept on the DL."

Krystal made a "cross my heart" sign.

"Things went fine with Chance, but the whole time I was with him I kept thinking about someone else. And that someone else asked me out. I feel like I should tell Chance, but don't know how."