16 Movies

M A X

Harper waited for me on the front porch. It was around three and I'd spent the majority of my day at home. Zane and Derek came over for lunch and pool. Eventually, Mrs. Wilson asked if I planned to ever come back. It was a surprise and a treat Harper waited to greet me when I did.

"Would you like to see a movie tonight?" She asked as I sauntered up the walk.

I sat next to her. "What changed?"

"I made a call. It was not pleasant, but I did the mature and right thing. I feel bad about it and could use a distraction." She shouldered me gently. She smiled, but she looked sad.

Still, I couldn't help but tease her. "I'm just a distraction to you?" I would be anything she wanted me to be if it meant we could go out tonight.

"I'm afraid so, but just for this one movie. After that, we can go out because I enjoy the pleasure of your company."

I looked away from her, sticking my nose in the air like I was above it all. My insides leapt for joy though. I would get my date with her after all.

She leaned into me. "So how about that movie? I have wanted to see that new alien movie, where a hivemind takes over Congress. There's a four o'clock showing if you're interested."

Her eyes searched my face. She only had to lift her head a little and our lips would meet. I could feel the heat coming off her. Only a few inches and I would be able to taste her. I closed my eyes. I felt her body shift and pull away.

"The movie?" she whispered like her voice had been stolen.

"I've got nowhere else to be."

"Good because my parents already said it was ok. Get changed out of your dog slobber clothes and let's go."

~*~*~

I missed most of the movie. There was something about a hivemind alien acting as queen and turning Congress into her drones to help facilitate world domination. Plucky heroes saving the day. An adorable dog, maybe? I spent the whole movie holding Harper's warm hand. I was so utterly distracted by this fact I missed most of it. There were some moments where she squeezed my hand extra tight. Those were particularly gory parts with limbs flying everywhere.

Eventually, the movie ended and the credits rolled. She kept her hand in mine as we walked away. I felt totally drawn into her orbit. More so than before. It was hard to keep my eyes off her. As we left the theater, she trashed talked the movie all the way back to my car. I, obviously, didn't have the same effect on her as she did on me.

"If Hollywood wants me to believe humanity can fend off an aggressive alien invasion, they're going to need to try harder than that. I mean that alien craft just happened to crash land in DC? And just happened to have its communications knocked out so it can't phone for help? Intergalactic traveling aliens are really stranded here? I think not. And regular bullets weren't about to do anything to that exoskeleton on the queen."

"You're a super nerd," I said and wrapped my arm around her. She didn't flinch or pull away, she leaned into me instead. We felt natural together. "I thought the pleasure of my company would be enough to hold your attention better than any movie."

"No one can ignore that terrible movie." Harper waved a hand in dismal. "I'm sorry, but you think, after the military failed with a tank, TANKS mind you, that our spunky heroine with a grenade and M16 rifle is going to save the day? I think not!"

She was so cute when she ranted. Her nose crinkled in disgust as she recalled large chunks of the movie I had not been paying attention to. She was also right. How did tanks fail, but one army-issued rifle saved the day? Had we really just paid money for that?