26 Lost

H A R P E R

There was no Max Draven at school that day. It was evident by the complete lack of a rogue horn in the student parking lot. I was a little sad not to hear it beeping away, disrupting everyone. At first, I worried Derek had relented and fixed it. But when I went out for gym class to run laps, I noticed it was missing from its usual spot. I scanned the lot to see if he'd parked elsewhere today. Nope. No Max Draven.

"Don't even bother," Krystal said, walking beside me to the track. "He is not worth the energy to even think about."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said staring straight ahead. I definitely did not look out the corner of my eye, still looking for his car.

"Max is not here today and even if he was, he's beneath you," she said. "He hasn't even really apologized for his lies."

She'd rallied behind me when word spread I had dumped Max. I hadn't thought our relationship was of much interest to anyone, but Krystal seemed to know the comings and goings of everyone. She was quick to denounce Max in everything. It was nice knowing she had my back.

"I'm just curious where he is, is all." I attempted to be as nonchalant as possible.

Krystal was not buying it. "Uh-huh, sure you were. He's probably cutting class with Zane."

She was probably right. And why should I care? Just because my first boyfriend had lied to me and ruined my favorite game and broke my heart. Why should I care where he was? I just hoped wherever he ended up today, he was covered in glitter and smelled like rotten fish.

"I should have listened to you," I said as we hit the track running.

"Whatever. Don't beat yourself up. We all fall for a pretty face every once in a while."

He was more than a pretty face though. He listened to me and complimented my art. He made me feel special. There was a spark and a warmth I'd never felt with anyone. I was comfortable with him. Not just on the couch watching TV, but going out in public. I didn't feel self-conscience about my hair or makeup or clothes. We fit together. The nerves that plagued me on my one and only date with Chance were absent with Max. It hurt to think he just used Grelvene to weasel his way into my life.

"Want me to set you up with someone else?" Krystal kept a few paces ahead of me to appease her track coach.

"No. I think I'm done with dating until my senior year of college. I've kind of screwed it all up."

Krystal turned and jogged backwards shaking her head. "If you don't stop it, I am going to slap you around."

I didn't say anything else and taking the hint Krystal jogged ahead of me. Her ponytail swished back and forth as she shook her head. I continued to jog at my pitifully slow pace. How come it was so hard to put Max out of my head? We'd only dated a few weeks. I just wanted this heartache to end.

When our laps were done we picked up some gear to play field hockey. I was a goalie and Krystal game to play defense for our team. I had to assume she did it to keep our conversation going.

"Last bit, I promise," she said. She held her stick at the ready even though the action was at the other end of the field. "You're not the only one to have this happen. Some a-hole broke your heart. Now you rally and you do something that makes you happy. Forget about Max Draven and focus on that. And if you decide you want to date again before you graduate this place, I will find you a guy."

"I appreciate you taking the time for me," I said. And I meant it. Krystal and I were always friendly, but not exactly friends. She didn't have to go out of the way to help me and she did.