Chapter Two🥀

I didn't think that being behind the fences of a prison could feel peaceful, but surprisingly it was

I didn't think that being behind the fences of a prison could feel peaceful, but surprisingly it was. Of course you could still hear the walkers growling from outside of the fences and from inside the prison, but I mainly focused on the crackling of the fire and the sound of the crickets chirping.

At the moment, I was watching Carl eat part of the squirrel that the adults had roasted over the fire. I had finished a small portion of mine and then gave the rest to Lori. She refused at first, but I was very stubborn and persisted until she took it. Carl had offered me some of his, which caused my face to heat up, but politely declined his offer by saying that I was full. It wasn't completely a lie though. Ever since this whole thing started and we've been low on food, my stomach and appetite had been getting smaller.

"Bethy, sing Paddy Reilly for me. I haven't heard that, I think, since your mother was alive." Hershel spoke up. Everyone turned to Beth, but Maggie

"Daddy, not that one, please."

"How about "Parting Glass"?" Their father asked the blonde girl.

Beth gave a small attitude by saying, "No one wants to hear."

"Why not?" Glenn asked, holding Maggie close.

"Yeah, B. I know I would love to hear it." I stated, smiling at my friend. She really was a beautiful singer and I admired it so much.

"Okay." Beth finally gave in to the pressure and began singing. 

"Of all the money e'er I had
I spent it in good company
And all the harm e'er I've ever done alas it was to none but me
and all I've done for want of wit
to memory now I can't recall
so fill to me the parting glass good night and joy be with you all"

As we all listened to Beth sing, I closed my eyes in pure bliss. I felt Carl scoot closer to me, but thought nothing of it.  I laid my head on his shoulder, and listened as Maggie joined in.

"Oh, all the comrades that e'er I had were sorry for my going away
and all the sweethearts that e'er I had would wish me one more day to stay  But since it falls unto my lot
that I should rise and you should not I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
good night and joy be with you all good night and joy be with you all"

"Beautiful." Hershel stated with a smile stretched across his face. I smiled over at Beth.

"Better all turn in. I'll take watch over there. Got a big day tomorrow." Rick suddenly instructed. I didn't notice that he had come over. He had been patrolling the fence where all the walkers were inside the prison.

"What do you mean?" Everyone looked at him with confusion, but Carl and I simply glanced at each other with a knowing look.

"Look, I know we're all exhausted. This was a great win. But we've got to push just a little bit more. Most of the walkers are dressed as guards and prisoners. Looks like this place fell pretty early. It could mean the supplies may be intact. They'd have an infirmary, a commissary."