Chapter Six🥀

There wasn't much for us to do besides wait

There wasn't much for us to do besides wait. Wait for Hershel to open his eyes. Wait for a sign that he'd be fine. Wait for Rick's next order. For me, I was waiting for all of those things, but I was also still waiting on Carl. He had been for what felt like an hour. Worry had begun to sink into my bones as I paced outside Hershel's cell. Lori and Carol were still keeping pressure on the old man's stub. Occasionally, they would ask if I was all right, but I simply nodded and continued pacing.

Rick and the others had come back carrying large boxes filled with food. T made a joke about canned beef, canned corn, canned cans. I huffed as a small laugh, but continued pacing. I hadn't had an anxiety attack in a long time, but this sudden worry was overwhelming my senses. Of course, most of it was stressing over Hershel, but my thoughts constantly drifted to Carl and where he could be.

I huffed and walked over to Hershel's cell to check on him and the two women taking caring of him. I noticed his breathing had become labored, but what really got me was the silver metal wrapped around his wrist.

"Lori, why is he handcuffed to the bunk?" I asked, staring at the brunette in slight horror. 

She stood, turning to me with wide eyes. She walked over to me and placed her bloodied hands on my upper arms that were, thankfully, covered by my flannel sleeves. She slowly pushed me backwards out of the cell whispering to calm me down, "It's just a precaution. His breathing is labored and his pulse is slowing down. Rick said to do it just in case."

So the handcuffs were a precaution for if he died. I slowed my breathing, hoping to stop an attack from beginning. "So if he turns.." I whispered, looking at her with sad eyes.

Her brown eyes reflected my emotions as she nodded. I nodded, following her lead back into the cell as she grabbed my hand. We all cared for the old man. He was practically our only beacon of hope in this cruel world. He was the one who was supposed to deliver Lori's baby. He was the one who helped us when we were injured. What were we going to do if he died?

Maggie, Beth, and Glenn came into the cell a few minutes later to watch over him. I stood in the corner against the wall to give everyone some room, after all the cell was small. Soon enough, we heard the door to the cell block creak open. It couldn't have been Rick or the others because they were taking the prisoners into the tombs to teach them how to defend themselves against walkers. 

Carl quickly came into the cell and placed a bag on the floor in front of Lori. She quickly dug through the bag to see all of the supplies we needed to save Hershel. He had found the infirmary. I smiled at what he had done, but it vanished as soon as Lori opened her mouth. "Where did you get this?" her voice expressed sternness that caused the proud smile on Carl's face to fall as well.

"from the infirmary. Was't much left, but I cleared it out." His smile returned shortly. I could hear the excitement in his voice. He was excited to see if his mom would be proud of him.