00

CHAPTER: 00

CHAPTER: 00

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

PROLOGUE

MYSTIC FALLS — PRESENT DAY

            ALTHOUGH THE TWO weren't together anymore, Elena couldn't help but snoop around Stefan's belongings when she was told to stay inside of the Salvatore's boarding house, once again for her own safety. Her eyes searched through the many books he had on his bookshelf, she ignored the want to go through his journals and found a small box wedged between them instead. Carefully and slowly, her fingers wrapped around the smooth leather and she pulled it out, turning around and taking a seat on his bed.

Letting out a shaky breath, she opened the box and furrowed her brows together at the sight of a the things that were inside of the box. The first thing that caught Elena's eye was a photograph, in it stood a beautiful blonde haired girl. The picture slightly resembled the one she found of her doppelgänger Katherine early on when her and Stefan were together, so the brunette only guessed that whoever the picture was had to be someone from his past.

She'd be lying if she said that it didn't bother her that Stefan never once brought up who the mysterious beautiful blonde was, but most importantly, she wondered, why did Stefan never speak about her?

She pulls the photo out of the box and carefully runs her finger over it, wiping away the dust that has grown from being locked away in a small leather box for many years. "Kennedy Forbes, eighteen-sixty-three." She reads out loud knitting her brows together.

The brunette was quick to recognize the last name that belonged to the blonde, for it belonged to another blonde that she considered to be a best friend.

She began to dig through the small box, searching to see if there was anything else that tied to the blonde in the picture, but a voice startled her. Also, interrupting her snooping time.

"What are you doing?" Questioned a slightly worried Stefan, he remembered the last time Elena had went through his things, and it was when she saw the picture of Katherine. To which, he had also remembered how it didn't end well.

Her head shot up and she struggled with her choice of words. "I was- I was just uh, looking around." She whispered, clearing her throat.

Stefan's eyes fell on the box in her hands and he immediately reached out for it closing it the second it reached his hands. He furrowed his brows together as he stared at the brunette in front of him, contemplating on wether or not he wanted to question if she saw the picture he had inside. To his luck, she beat him to it.

"Stefan.. who is this?" Elena asked, tilting her head as her eyes stared at the black and white picture in her hands.

He quickly grabbed the picture away from her hands and let out a breath. "Nobody." He answered, not wanting to speak about the female in the photo. It was in his past. No, it wasn't apart of the dark moments but actually the moments that weren't so dark, when he was in fact human. Which was why he didn't feel like sharing anything about the girl, who still seemed to find a way into his heart. She was a sensitive topic.

"Really? Nobody? Then why do you have her picture hidden away in a box, and why haven't you ever told me about her? She doesn't seem like nobody to me."

His eyes peeled away from her face and he let out a sigh, not sure if he wanted to tell his ex-girlfriend about his first actual love, or about the girl that taught him everything he knew about love today. "Elena, just drop it okay?" He pleaded, beginning to walk towards the shelf to place the box back into its respected place.

Elena was just as quick as he was and she snatched the picture right from his hands, shaking her head with a frown on her face. "No, I won't drop it, Stefan." She fumbled with the photo in her hands and turned it around so that the blondes face was turned to Stefan, and she held it out so that it was only a few inches away from the vampire. "I want to know who she was."

Letting out a defeated sigh, he stared at Elena, not once glancing at the photo. "Fine." He mumbled, ripping the picture from her fingers.

His forest green eyes finally stared down at the picture and he couldn't ignore the pain in his chest as he stared at the beautiful face he was still fond of. The smile that the woman carried was full of life, and so did her eyes which he remembered to be a cerulean blue. Without warning, his chest began to feel heavy. It was painful, to look at the picture and to be taunted of the memories he missed so dearly.

Stefan licked the sides of his lips and handed the photo back to Elena, a ghost of a smile dancing on his lips. "Back when I was human she had been adopted by my father back in the eighteen-hundreds. My father felt responsible for her when her parents passed away, because he was close with her father. We both met when we were kids, I was only six and she was seven, from there on we became best friends. Then after my father adopted her, she moved in with us when she was twelve." He started his story as he stared at the many journals he kept away on his book shelf. "After spending all those years with her I couldn't help the way I actually felt, and I tried to hard to suppress my feelings because she was my bestfriend. It wasn't the truth, she was the love of my life Elena, before Katherine, before you, before anyone."

The brunette smiled at him while he spoke of the girl in the photo with such ease. "What was she like?" She questioned.

His eyes finally met hers and he smiled. "She was beautiful, I don't even think that there's a word in the dictionary to express how beautiful she was. She was like this light that couldn't be put out no matter what happened to her and she was just like you– an orphan. Her and I, we were best friends and then I began to fall in love with her. Eventually she loved me back though, the only problem was that she loved with everything she had in her, she let it consume her." He confessed, trying his best to ignore the pain he felt in his chest as he remembered everything about the girl. Her smile, her laugh, her stubbornness, her touch, and her ability to make him feel so free.

"Her name.. was it Kennedy?"

"Yeah. Kennedy Forbes, and I'm sure you noticed her last name and yes, she's an ancestor of Caroline." He answers smiling slyly, nodding his head.

Elena furrowed her brows together, not understanding why he kept the girl a secret. "How come you never talked about her?"

He let out a chuckle and shrugged his shoulders. "She was something sacred to me. I haven't spoken about her to anyone in years, not even Damon, her death took a toll on the both of us, it was just best to never bring her up."

"Tell me then. I want to know everything about her."

Stefan smiled at the curiosity from the brunette, he wouldn't mind talking about Kennedy. He could actually do it for hours, maybe even days if he really wanted to. "If you insist." He responded, placing the picture in the sides of his mirror, instead of locking it away inside of the leather box.

authors note!
this is the first chapter of 'someone to stay' please let me know what you think of it so far. my idea for this story changed lol, but it's still the same concept. i hope you enjoy !