05 | miracle

A gleaming Audi R8 screeches to a halt beside me, nearly making me jump to my death

A gleaming Audi R8 screeches to a halt beside me, nearly making me jump to my death. Who the hell drives like that? I turn to the car with a glare on my face, expertly masking my surprise.

"Excuse me--" I'm initiating the traffic rules speech when my brain finally registers the person seated in the driver's seat. Once more, my sentence hangs incomplete.

Pale green eyes look me up and down, and his handsome face morphs into a small smile. "Get into the car," Asher orders in a matter-of-fact way, but I don't budge. Since when exactly is Asher Prince coming to my rescue? Our two encounters since the very first time haven't really ended well.

"What are you doing?" I respond shakily, and I'm pretty sure now Asher understands very well that I don't know my way home.

Way to go, Lissa. Way to go.

"I'm going to show you that I'm not a spoiled jerk. Get in," he shouts from inside the car, and all the students around us turn to look. He laughs at my humiliation, again.

Why does he always have to make a scene?

His statement catches me off guard, and I feel my cheeks flaring up under his gaze. I'm okay with thirty people looking at me, but I'm burning under one gaze. Yeah, right.

"Asher." I warn him to stop, realising that this is most probably a joke, or worse, a prank. I'm not that gullible.

"Most people here call me Prince," he says seriously, but I roll my eyes nonetheless. This boy and his sick sense of humour. The public scrutiny gets better of me and I open the door to his car, albeit reluctantly. If this is a prank, I've fallen right into it. I hope it isn't, though. I don't know why, but I want to be able to trust Asher.

He doesn't seem like someone who cares about earning my trust.

"Do people ever tell you how lame you are?" I grumble, strapping myself inside his car, internally marvelling at how good it smells in here. It's all his cologne, I'm aware, and I truly wish it were car perfume.

It would make ignoring him a lot easier.

"I have been called hot, sexy, attractive, royal and sometimes also enchanting, but lame's a first," he chuckles, handling the steering wheel with ease. That makes me smile, and for a moment I just smile for the first time in four days, without letting it fall off in an instant.

Asher scans me in amusement—which I'm beginning to think is his signature expression, but then something shifts in his features and he looks away. What I am doing here with him, I don't know.

Just another thing about my situation that is extremely confusing.

He starts the car and I lean against the cold glass window, as far from him as I can get, trying my best to put up a defensive face and uninterested body language. I don't want to be embarrassed again. Nope. I'm not here to make friends.