07 | girlfriend

Open

Open.

Shut.

Crash.

Click.

It's another day at the Jordan house, and no, it isn't a single decibel quieter than yesterday was. I do miss the peace and quiet of home, but also love how everything's more bustling and busy here.

One great proof of that is how I was woken from sleep today. Instead of my mother's usual greeting "Wake up, honey" from her smiling self, I had a wet sock thrown carelessly at my face with a sickly "up and about, sucker" from my favourite, scowling cousin.

I guess times change.

And oh, I go with the flow.

"As you say, Regina," I say to her and drag my aching body out of the super-comfortable bed. Katy frowns at her laundry basket and parts my window curtains, letting the dim, post-rain sunshine in.

"Morning," she says to me suddenly, and my mind instantly wonders why there's been a sudden change in her mean exterior. Maybe Katy and I are capable of having proper conversations, after all.

"Good morning," I reply slowly, rounding my eyes, and she sticks her tongue out at me.

"I can be nice, you know. Spoiled rich cousin from the big city," she teases, picking out my dirty clothes from inside the cupboard and tossing them in the basket under her arm. I'm impressed.

"I can do my own work," I say weakly, grabbing the clothes before she can. She gives me an indifferent shrug, a perfect eye roll and shuffles out of the room without another word. I sigh in exasperation and hop into the shower.

There's no understanding that girl.

****************

"Come on!" Riley calls from our porch half an hour and a hearty meal later, just as I finish putting on white sneakers.

"Coming!" I call, emerging from the door.

Wow.

The air is excessively cold today, and dark clouds hover overhead like it is late evening and not eight in the morning. I'm as sure it's going to pour soon as I am of my photography. This town can't get enough rain, can it?

"Hey," my friend greets me brightly, and I eye her from top to bottom. Indeed, I pick up habits very fast.

"Who is it today?" I ask, pointing at her outfit curiously.

"Marilyn Monroe," she laughs, smoothing her skirt with both hands.

"You look nice," I say with a smile, and she exhales. There is definitely something with people of this town and their fear of someone criticising their dressing sense. It's immensely weird, but also kinda cute.