12. Rite

the present time

"Eddy!", Belle screams when she opens the door. It's almost noon. She's wearing a black dress and his hair falls behind his back.
He is so happy to see her.

"What a surprise!", she says hugging Eddy.

"Hey, sis", Eddy replies. He's so glad its his sister the one who opened the door. "I missed you", he adds caressing his head softly. But suddenly Belle lets him go.

"What's wrong?", Belle asks. Eddy is shaking.
"What happened?"

***

"I'm coming home, mom. I need to tell you something", he said on the phone a couple of hours earlier.
"Did something bad happened?", her mom asks sounding concerned.
"No, don't worry", Eddy replies. "I just need to see you, ok?"
His mom gets quiet for an instant. A long, heavy one.
"Ok, I'll see you soon. Take care, darling"
Her voice gets raspy at the end.

She knows, Eddy thinks. Shit.
The train starts walking.
***

"Nothing. Where is mom?", Eddy asks trying to smile.
But its a weird painful smirk.

"She went to buy groceries. For dinner.", Belle looks concerned in to Eddy's face. "Eddy, what's going on?"

Eddy finally crumbles down.

"I'm scared, Belle", he says falling in the couch, covering his eyes to fight the tears back. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry", he cries.
She feels like crying too. But she needs to be stronger for his brother.

"Eddy", she sighs sitting next to him. "Eddy, don't be scared. It's time. I'm here. Come on, talk to me.", she is hugging him from behind his back. Eddy's crying is louder now, but he turns to see his sister. She's smiling.

"Everything will be ok, Eddy. Come on, lets go to my room"

***

Brett is laying on his bed peacefully. He's so tired, and so...happy. Whenever he starts missing Eddy, he just sniffs the black hoodie he's wearing. An apology gift from Eddy for leaving him so soon.

"Eddy", he smiles while rubbing his face to the fabric. The mix of wood an sweet scent of Eddy makes him giggle.

Then, he starts turning around the bed in joy and embarrassment.
But suddenly, he remembers Eddy's face while leaving.
He looked really worried.
But, he didn't let me go with him...

"Eddy, be strong", he murmurs to the air.

***

Eddy is laying on Belle's bed. He's hugging a pink cushion. He's still sobbing quietly.

"So, it finally happened?", Belle asks smiling. "Come on, tell me everything"

Eddy looks at her. "Belle, how long it's been since you know?"

Belle laughs. "All the time, brother. From the first day that you blushed while looking at my k-pop posters. I always knew you came to my room only to sit down and watch them"

Eddy's face turns completely red.

"And then", Belle pauses. "James and you, you know. You were so adorable"

Eddy shivers. It's been a while since he heard James name out loud.

"I'm sorry I didn't do anything to help you, Eddy", Belle mumbles.
"But this time will be different. I'm not a child anymore. We can do this", a tear falls down his face.