Firefly Kiss

Vibrant green leaves only darkened the overhanging limbs blocking out most of the night sky for the onlooker. Pressing her palm into the trunk of the tree the Pure Heart lion closed her eyes and filled her lungs with the deepest breath. All while collecting her senses after a twitch to her left ear tipped her off.

Eyes closed still she leaned her shoulder into the tree trunk, "...your off the clock sherif, what are you doing out of call range of my brother?"

Caught red handed perhaps. Mao stood a few feet from the darkness under the foliage full branches of the single tree in this expansive field. Cast in the shadows of the twilight the black cat's emerald eyes nearly illuminated with the back light of the set sun, "Badgerclops will get me if the king calls."

Zu snorted, shaking her head only a little, "That didn't answer all my question."

"I could ask you the same thing my queen," Mao's steps swallowed up in the grass under foot, "Seems unsafe for you to be out of range of the Pure Heart Crystal. Cracked or not, this is kinda far for a Sweetie Pie."

When he came to stand beside her, the lioness pushed off the trunk of the tree with a half turn twirling her to the furthest reaches of the tree's limbs before field over took all the eye could see. Cream colored fur almost luminescent as his green eyes in this hour before dusk. She pushed back that mop of pink pomp and let her eyes fall on him, "What are you going to do, lecture me or arrest me first?"

Mouth set in a stern line Mao watched the coy royalty constantly putting him at odds. Really he wanted to go on the rant of what loyalty should be doing. But with the buzzing nothingness of the wind slipping past them in the warm valley, Mao quieted his scornful side, "You won't listen to me if I do either."

Her dark brows perked up, "So you put on a show in the village, the Queen thing is for show then."

"No," Mao shook his head and looked from her to the field before them, "I think of you as my Queen. I am a hero to serve the legendary family. Even-" He returned his gaze to her in front of him, "-if they run off in the middle of the night."

Zu groaned, "So you followed me, of course you did. Why did I even think you'd be anything else but a stalker."

Mao gaze dropped and he came to the edge of the canopy where she was. Unsure if she'd just leave again Mao remained still, "I came out here because I found it more peaceful for meditation after a fight Badgerclops and I once got into. I've only been here during the day though."

The hero was a lot of things. That the pink lion knew. A liar wasn't one of them. Instead of stepping away from him she instead turned to look at the cat beside her. Mao's thousand yard stare out on the nothingness of the empty wilderness before them. How many times she'd found herself caught up in that half lidded trance.

"...I'm sorry," Zu muttered quietly between the two of them.

He was taken from his trance to look over at her a little confused. She gestured loosely at nothing like it made sense.

"My brother and I fight, believe it or not," Zu confessed to what seemed like such a peasant matter. The look on Mao's mocking face spelled that out and she rolled her eyes crossing her arms over her blue tunic, "This is why I hate this, nobility role, this is why I come out here."

"Because you're a Queen?"

"Because out here, I'm nothing."

From coy to a frown, Mao looked over at her. Zu's paws gripping harder at her upper arms as she tightened them crossed against her chest. She was fixated out on the field like she was looking for something. There was nothing but them and the stars though.