Chapter 3

Feyre

Disclaimer: The incredible art displayed above was not created by me, and all credit goes to the artist who made it. 

I shifted in the plush oak chair, frowning down at the sheaf of papers stacked in front of me. Concern lit up in my face as I studied the letter, and I scribbled something short in response before leaning back and rubbing at my eyes tiredly. Stifling a yawn, I glanced at the ornate brass clock briefly, eager to sleep. Nearly jolting out of my chair as I realized the time, I made my way out of the study and through the warmly lit halls, trailing a slender hand on the wallpaper. Reaching the large oak door, I clasped the handle and pushed it open, smiling when I beheld the inside. An enormous, plush bed bursting with pillows, large, open windows, squashy armchairs and a crackling fireplace. Warm, spacious, comfortable...and well-decorated, I thought with a snort. It had been me and Gesinda, a faerie specializing in design, who had thought out the interior of the River house. We had spent countless months picking out textures and patterns, painting thresholds with broad swaths of color, and bringing in beautiful but practical pieces. But I was too exhausted to notice how the windows opened up to a wide view of the sparkling Sidra, how the rich brown of the armoire perfectly matched the bedframe and the fluffy bed covers resembled the throw pillows perched on the armchairs. Shedding my thick ivory sweater and practical leggings, I trudged into the connected bathing room and twisted the silver handles until warm, steaming water rushed out into the porcelain tub. As I waited for the bath to fill, occasionally dumping in soap to create bubbles, I sent a thought spearing down the dark, glittering bond between me and Rhys.

Where are you? It's getting late.

The question faded into inky black, enough of a sign for me. Rhysand was not in Velaris, or the Night Court at all, for that matter. Pushing down my growing worry, I turned off the taps and stepped into the water, nearly groaning as the heat enveloped me. Reaching for the bottle sitting on the edge of the tub, I began to wash myself, occasionally sending a thought or two down the bond. However, it wasn't until the bathwater had turned cold and not nearly as inviting that the High Lord of the Night Court deigned to respond, the words brief and muffled from the distance.

With Tarquin and Helion. Autumn Court. Az will be home soon.

A shudder of relief went through my body at the words. Safe. He was safe, and with two other High Lords. Stepping up and out of the bathtub, I carefully maneuvered herself around the clothes littered on the ground and sent a pulse of love down the bond in response.

Come home. Beron and his snakes can wait.

A flicker of amusement on the other side of that ebony bridge.

I'm not sure Beron would appreciate me leaving a highly tense and important meeting so that I could be there with you, my love.

I snort out loud as I pull on a thin, silk nightgown and stalk over to the bed.

It's practically midnight. What on earth could you be doing that's so important at this hour?

There was a pause on the other side of the bond. Then glittering, adamant talons gently stroked the outside of my mind, and I felt Rhys say,

I'll show you.

Is that even possible? I reply skeptically. You're all the way in the Autumn Court-I'm not sure that could even be done.

Somehow, I felt him chuckling wherever he was.

Not now, Feyre.

My cheeks flushing with embarrassment, I scowled at nothing in particular and sent a vulgar gesture back at him.