Chapter 4

Feyre

Disclaimer: The incredible art displayed above was not created by me, and all credit goes to the artist who made it. 

I inhaled a deep breath of crisp morning air, relishing in the freshness of the city. Faeries of all kinds surround me, some hurrying off with places to be, some lingering and taking in the beauty of Velaris in the morning. Neither one gives me a strange glance, used to their High Lady strolling around the city. Most offer passing smiles, a few even waving and calling hello. Ever since the project I started with Ressina, I've become a fixed part of the city, especially in the Rainbow. I knew almost every shop owner in Velaris now, and although everyone had been welcoming from the start, it took a great weight off my shoulders to know that I was not just the High Lady to them anymore, but a friend and a common face.

Cheeks flushed from the chill, I smiled over at the artists quarter. Even from a distance, I could see the bright turquoise studio, not at all out of place between the colorful rainbow buildings. Ressina and I decided on the colour together, after much deliberation. We had both agreed the place desperately needed a fresh coat of paint, especially after all it had gone through. I winced inwardly as I recalled the state it had been in before, with cracked, peeling paint and crumbling stone in places. I had heard it had once been cozy and inviting, painted a muted, content saffron with winding vines around the pipes and a comfy, warm interior. But after Hybern attacked, the place had taken on a deserted, lost feel, and it had slowly lost its colour and faded to a sickly, pale yellow. We had both wanted to go with a clear, uplifting colour, something that would stand out as much as a building could stand out in the Rainbow. I'd also added a few gold decorations inside the studio a few months after we painted the exterior, just a vase and a few knick-knacks. Ressina had instantly loved them, lingering at the little gold clock propped on the shelf of our office. The gold looks fantastic with turquoise, Feyre, she'd praised, practically beaming with joy. And we could use a few objects of opulence. Cauldron knows your mate can pay for it. She'd added with a wink.

I had practically squirmed with a mixture of pride and embarrassment, although the mention of the Cauldron made me flinch slightly. It had taken me a week to pick them out, and even though I'd winced at the price of some, specifically the vase, Rhys had insisted.

This barely even brushes our ridiculously large coffers, my love. Besides, I like Ressina, and I like your job. I'm sure she'll love it. He'd nuzzled my neck reassuringly, and we'd signed the check with a flourish. Now that they were in the studio, they looked well at home, and it seemed I'd made the right choice with colour and metal, as well as appeasing Ressina.

Shaking off the memory, I began to make my way towards the art studio, excited for another day's work.

--------------------

I rinsed my hands gently under the streaming water, rubbing harder in places where the paint seemed to stick. Today had been a good day. The kids we visited with regularly were improving vastly, not just work-wise but mentally, too. After the initial surge of people eager to sign their kids up for our classes, our numbers had slowly dwindled, not considerably, but noticeably, nonetheless. Instead of mourning the loss of customers, however, me and Ressina had rejoiced, throwing several goodbye parties for the leaving children. The fact that they were stopping attendance...it meant that they had healed, to some degree. It meant that maybe, they had less demons to contend with at night. At one particular going-away party, for a girl whose parents and sister had all been brutally murdered by the Attor's ilk, the little Faerie (Elina, she was called) had at one point de-attached herself from her grandparents and scurried over to me quietly during the festivities.

"Feyre?" she'd whispered, big brown eyes staring up in adoration. I'd smiled warmly down at her, latching onto her hand.

"Yes, El?"