Chapter 13

Friday came, and everyone was preparing for Saturday. I did as Helena asked me to. I helped the Special Events Committee. Helena said she and the girls will be volunteering as well, but they told me to go straight to the Gymnasium, where the dance would be held.

To my surprise, Luke was there. He's an officer so, he's obviously helping out. I tried to avoid him because it's so difficult being around him at this point. He saw me, but he didn't approach me. Thank God! He just smirked at me, and I looked away. April was there too. She was an officer as well, I almost forgot. She was carrying a bunch of boxes filled with decorations. It seemed really heavy for her to carry. Later on, she accidentally dropped the boxes, and the decorations scattered on the floor. No one offered to help her so, I decided to aproach her and help her but then-

"I can handle it!" she yelled.

"April, c'mon"

"Who asked you to help!?"

"duhh, I volunteered?"

"Stay away from me then!" she carried the boxes.

Well, she's still the same old April who hates everyone and whom everyone hates.

"Joe" Helena said as she and the girls were walking towards me.

"You okay?" Jade asked.

"Yeah, we saw what happened" Cassy said.

"Yeah, I'm alright. Everything's fine" I replied.

The girls then turned to each other.

"What?" I said.

"You know what? We noticed that you've been really nice to April since yesterday" Cassy said.

"It's almost as if you've been possessed or something" Chantel said.

"I don't know" I shrugged "I guess something just triggered me on Halloween".

"Seriously, you've got to stop being nice to people" Lily said.

"Yeah. You're just punishing yourself if they don't want you to be nice to them, and you just try and try to get closer to them" Helena said.

"Okay! Okay! I get it. Look, I've been here ten minutes ago and I still don't know what to do" I said.

"Well, the five of us have been assigned to kitchen duties" Helena said.

"So, we're going to help Dorothy out. Like, right now" Chantel said.

"Sure" I said.

"Do you think you can handle hanging decorations?" Cassy asked.

"Yeah. I'll give it a shot" I said.

"Good. Well, we're heading for the kitchen now so, are you sure you're alright in here?" Jade asked.

"Yeah, sure. Could be a lot of fun" I said.

"Good Luck!" Chantel said.

"Alright then. I'll see you back in the dorm" Helena said, as she and the girls left.

I walked around, undecided what to do. Should I go for Kitchen duties with the girls or what? I don't want to go for Kitchen duties because it's almost like I'm clinging to the girls, something like that if I go for it.

"Johanna," Ms. Hollander called me.

"Yes?" I turned to her.

"Are you here to help?".

"Yes".

"Have you decided what you want to do?"

"Uhh- hanging decorations?" I said, because that's what Cassy asked me to do.