Mama - Prologue

Finn smiled as he watched his 11 month old daughter blink her brown eyes open, her toothless gums stretching into a smile. She hasn't let learned to talk, but she still waved her arms above her head for him to pick her up. Her father did so, cooing and tickling her with his fingers. Her brown eyes shone with glee, curly locks tumbling over his arm. Piper had been concerned that Grace hadn't yet learnt to talk, or had grown teeth, but late teething came from his side of the family.

"Who's Daddy's Little girl, huh?" The blonde haired man asked, holding her as if she weighed nothing. She was underweight at birth too, another thing that concerned his girlfriend, but he was certain that his angel was alright - which of course, she was.
Finn once joked that Piper's motherly instinct was taking a while to kick in, but she hadn't laughed. In fact, quite the opposite...

Flashback

Piper was crying on her bed when he walked in. Seeing as James and Riley had recently moved out, he had moved in, which had caused Deborah to fuss over him and her grandchild immensely.

The room was dark, only a sliver of light filtering through the curtains onto the bed clothes. Her sobs came from under the covers, heart wrenchingly painful as Finn moved forward slowly.

Recently, his girlfriend had been nearly always irritable, annoyed, and sometimes aggresive - completely out of character for the sweet girl he had come to love. She didn't even want her child in the same room as her, which made it difficult go persuade Piper to breastfeed her child, and so he'd gotten Grace on formula milk as soon as he could. Still, the changes had not gone unnoticed, and now that Grace was crawling around more, Finn thought that he should try and help them bond.

"Pipes?"
"Don't call me that." She snapped, and he recoiled slightly. This was the first time she had ever had an issue with-

"Ma-"

Finn was jolted back to reality by his daughter frowning slightly, making a sound he hadn't heard her say before.

"Ma- ma- ma- ma-" He blinked with surprise, before calling for his girlfriend.

"Piper!" The call echoed off the walls of their half empty flat. There were still unpacked boxes, paint cans stacked up against the walls, and some rooms were still empty.

"Piper?" He set Grace down, who began to crawl around the room, happily repeating her first word over and over again.

"Piper!?" Finn checked her room - nothing. Since the whole pregnant episode, she'd refused to share a room with him. In fact, she'd refused to touch him.

"Piper!" He reached the 'dining room'. There were some cardboard boxes in the middle of the carpet.

"Piper, please, where are you?"

Silence.

He turned into the hallway, and saw a note taped to the front door. Relieved, Finn picked it up and read it.

And read it again.

And again.

And then the tears came.

Ok, this is just a test to see whether you guys would like to read something like this. It's been in my works for a while now (I started trying to write it before Let Me Go, so yeah...) And I finally got around to finishing the prologue. This book has gone through multiple rewrites, plot changes, and book covers, before getting to this.

If you like the start and want to see what happens next, please tell me in the comments, otherwise I'll probably leave it just as this.

Thanks!

Spring Xx