Get moving

6 hours earlier

Piper and Audrey's Apartment

"Speak of the devil!" Audrey's nervous voice came from inside the apartment as Piper opened the door. Her roommate gave an awkward laugh and turned towards her, widening her eyes in a silent signal.

Luckily getting the message, the brunette walked into the room with a smile plastered on her face to see the landlord standing in the room.

"Hello Mr. Barker!"

"Ah, call me Ray." The man smiled and extended his hand, but when Piper shook it, clasping his other hand over the top with a warm smile.

"Would you like a drink?"

"No, no. Audrey's already offered me one. I was here to remind you that the extension had run out for the rent, but I have been informed that you no longer wish to be residents here anymore?"

Raymond Barker held her hand the entire speech, only letting go when she tugged it out of his grip, still forcing herself to be polite.

"Yes!" Audrey butted in, although the question was obviously directed at Piper. "We're leaving on the 24th."

"Tomorrow, then?"

"Yep!" The way she said it was as if there was supposed to be :) on the end.

"Well, I wish you both the best of luck, however I do need your payment before then. That won't be an issue, will it?"

"Of course not!" Audrey still beamed, hurrying to finish making the coffee.

"In that case, there are a few more tiny things," His eyes swept the room. "I presume you are leaving the apartment with it's original furniture?"

"Yes, we are." Piper decided to speak, before Audrey launched into a nervous ramble about what they might leave behind.

Speaking of her roommate, she returned with two mugs in her hand, and gave one to Mr Barker and Piper.
"You don't mind if I sit?" Without waiting for an answer, he sat down on the sofa, sipping his coffee experimentally.

Awkwardly, Piper sat down near the other side of the sofa, but not too much so that it was obvious she didn't want to be near him. Audrey hovered nearby, her usual confidence evaporating around the landlord.

"Out of curiosity, how did you injure your hand?" Raymond nodded towards the bandages, which made Piper draw her hand closer.

"I accidentally caught it on a knife."

"Not too badly, I hope?"

"It's okay now."

"Yes, did you put the bandage on?"

"A friend did."

"Mm. My sister is a paramedic - that looks like a well done job. Does your friend know First Aid then?"

"Um, yeah. He does."

"Would you like a biscuit?" Audrey interjected, offering the jar towards him. Piper mouthed a thank you over the landlords shoulder.

"Thank you Audrey," Mr Barker smiles once more, but turned his attention back to Piper.

"Earlier, I heard that you lost your job at the film studio. How are you doing?" A sympathetic tone creeped into his voice, and one of his hands rested on her shoulder.

He's just being friendly. He's just trying to make conversation. He's just as awkward as we are and that's why he's asking all the questions. Nothing's wrong. Everything is fine. Audrey's here. Just being friendly. He's just trying to be reassuring. Doesn't know.
"Piper?"