Chapter Thirteen: What Lies Beneath

Later on, as we headed back to the store, my stomach was full with not one but two whole root-beer floats. Neither Chase or his dad had lied - there really were the best things I'd ever tasted in my life. I'd greedily accepted the second float as they'd heard me slurping the dregs at the bottom of the first. I was paying a little for it now. I was pretty sure I could roll my way to the shop instead of using my feet to walk there. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat, it was totally worth it.

After our floats, Chase's dad invited me over for dinner later - they were grilling up pork-steaks and brats. Nothing fancy, he'd said, but pretty tasty and perfect for this time of year. I'd readily agreed, even though I'd never had either. If it was anything like his root-beer floats, I wasn't about to pass it up!

"So, I think my dad really likes you," Chase said, squeezing my hand as we walked back to Aunt Celeste's shop. He'd grabbed it as we'd headed down the street, and it didn't feel weird at all.

"You think so?" I asked doubtfully. I'd never really met any boy's parents before, so it was kind of hard for me to judge.

"Oh yeah, that man doesn't share his pork steaks or brats with just any girl I bring home." He laughed, giving me a sly wink.

I rolled my eyes skyward. "Well, that makes me feel loads better," I said. He laughed again and we talked about nothing in particular as we made our down the street. Before I knew it we were standing in front of the Gift Emporium.

Chase gazed upon the outside of my aunt's shop, a faraway look on his face. "You know, I haven't actually been inside this place in years."

"Really?" I asked surprised, though not really sure why. It wasn't exactly the kind of place that was welcoming to kids or young people.

"Yeah, not since before my mom died. She used to come in here every now and then. I was really small, but I remember how much I hated going with her." He turned and looked at me, "She'd always leave me downstairs while she went upstairs to shop in the private showroom. I was never allowed to go with her."

"Really? Not even back then?"

Chase shook his head. "No. I had to stay downstairs until she came back down."

"Downstairs by yourself?" I asked. What kind of parent would leave a little kid alone in a store by themselves?

"No." The way he said it made it clear he wasn't going to say anymore about it. He walked up the few steps up to the frosted doors, and pushed it as he held it open for me.

I stepped inside ahead of him, my eyes taking a few seconds to adjust to the dimness. It was empty save for one person, Dante of course. He was inside manning the counter, sorting through one of the boxes I recognized from the estate sale. If there was a rhyme or reason to his sorting, it was lost on me. There were dishes and clocks in one pile, jewelry and silverware in another, a stack of old photo albums on top of old vinyl records. The only thing that made any sense was the stack of canvas art and prints by his feet.

He looked up at me but his face held the same distant contempt for me it always had. Was it weird that I found that semi-comforting? At least it would help me get over the whole weirdness of our "moment" in the car. His eyes flickered over to Chase, then back to me. "Your aunt's been looking for you."

"Where is she?" I asked as coolly as possible. I sounded pretty disinterested, so I was feeling pretty pleased with myself for the moment.

"Upstairs," he answered, his own voice mocking mine and putting it to shame.

God, I couldn't stand him!

"Fine," I headed for the wrought iron stairs but Dante's voice stopped me in my tracks.