Chapter 3: A Brunch With "Their Majesties"

I walked up to the palace and was quickly ushered in. They took me to a large room, with a long table stacked with food, and a few chairs around a smaller table, where Mal and Ben were sitting. They both stood up when I walked in. 

     "I'm glad you could make it," Ben said, Mal smiled slightly, not making eye contact with me. 

     "Believe me, I tried to cancel," I asked, walking in and taking a seat. Mal and Ben sat down again. 

     "Well," Ben said, "I hope it wasn't too much of an inconvenience." 

     "Actually, it was."

     "Well sorry about that." 

     "Yup, sure you are." 

     I straightened my skirt and crossed my arms. Ben bit his lip, obviously not sure how to respond to that. An awkward silence followed. The only noises heard where that of the kitchen staff adding more dishes to the already full table.

     "Well," Mal said, finally breaking the silence, "How about we get some food?" 

    "Great idea!" Ben said, quickly standing up, and holding his arm out for Mal. She stood up and took it still smiling. It was sort of creeping me out how much she was smiling.  

     After I had loaded my plate with food, cucumber sandwiches, waffles, fondue, fruits and vegetables of all sorts, and other delicacies, I sat back down at the smaller table with Mal and Ben. 

     "I hope you like the food." Ben said, "We tried to get a wide variety, so-" 

     "Let's cut to the chase Ben, we've had enough small talk, why'd I have to be here?" I knew it was very impolite to interrupt someone, let alone the king, and if my mother had been here, would have gotten me punished severely. But, I had known Ben since we were kids, and he was my ex, so I didn't feel the need to be nice to him.

     "Oh, okay. Well, Audrey, as you may know, Mal and I are engaged and planning on getting married this Fall."

     I nodded. Of course, I knew that. Anyone with ears knew that. It was all the news talked about anymore and the only thing people wanted to talk about. 

     "Well," Ben continued, "Mal and I have realized, after recent circumstances." As in you taking over the kingdom.  He implied. "That there seems to still be, ill feelings between us, you, Mal, and I. Well, we wanted to make sure we had no unresolved conflicts with others before we were married. "

     "So you constructed this whole thing just to apologize to me again?" 

     Ben nodded, "In a matter of speaking, yes."

     "You've already apologized though, remember, after Mal basically killed me-" I made eye contact with her for an uncomfortable amount of time before continuing. "-and then Hades brought saved me, and Maleficent's scepter's curse wore off, you and Mal both apologized." 

     "Well yes, but we-" Ben started, but Mal cut him off. 

     "We wanted to make sure that we both knew for a fact there are no hard feelings left between us. And that all misconceptions were cleared up."

     "Oh, I see. So you both wanted a clear conscience before going into marriage? You both want me to tell you that neither of you did anything wrong. Right?"

     "Audrey, we-" 

     "Oh no Ben, you had your chance to talk, now it's my turn." I stood up, "You, want me to say that it was all my fault, that I should have been happy that my long-term boyfriend dumped me by confessing his love to another woman to the whole school. Should I have gotten you flowers as a congratulation gift?"

     "That's not what we said-"

     "Oh but I think it was Mal. You want me to say sorry for everything I did, which was way worse than anything you two did. You want me to admit that I was the villain, and you forgive you for the few tiny itty-bitty things you did." 

     "Well guess what? What you did wasn't itty-bitty." I pointed at Ben, "You broke my heart." 

     He stood up, "Audrey I'm sorry, can we-" 

     I pointed at Mal, "You ruined my life in ways you never cared enough to find out about!" 

     Mal stood up too, "Please there's no need to yell, we can talk about it, I want to know how I hurt you.  I want to tell you I'm sorry, and I really truly am. "

     "It's too late for that. How can I believe you? Everyone in my life has let me down, and how do I know you'll be different? You stole my boyfriend, you stole my friends, you stole the heart of my own people and turned them against me. You have no right to talk to me like that. You have no right to apologize. And you know what princess? I do not forgive you. I don't forgive either of you. And yes, that makes me seem like the bad guy, but you know what? I don't care. Everyone already sees me as the bad guy, even my own parents. You can hate me all you want, you can kill me with kindness. Either way, you can never make up for what you did, and I will not apologize for what I did." I stood up and walked out, leaving a shocked King, and Queen-to-be, behind. But, leaving with my dignity.