Meet the parents BILLIE'S POV

We pulled up to a run down double wide trailer that I had looked into way too often. It had a nice security system...because I had forgotten to turn my flash off on my camera one time, leaving Cleo terrified.

She looked more terrified now though. I had her dress nice for this. I wanted her parents to know she was taken care of. Her hair was straightened, make up was done up and she was wearing a modest yellow sundress I had bought her with some strappy sandals. She was gripping my hand tightly and messing with the strap on the Louis Vuitton cross body I had bought her.

I turned my body towards her as we parked my car,

"It's okay. No matter what you have me. Okay baby?" I kissed her sweaty hand that gripped mine.

"I'm just nervous...you know?" Cleo asked.

I nodded. I knew.

I turned my car off and got out, walking around to Cleo's car door and opening it for her. She reached her hand out and I helped her out, straightening her dress up when she got out of the vehicle.

"You look beautiful and classy. You are worth more than this. Okay? We are stronger than this bullshit. I want you to be my wife one day okay C?"

Her eyes lit up when I said wife.

"You mean that Billie?" She asked.

"I mean it. Let's get this over with?" I pulled her along gently as we headed towards the front door.

I knocked three times and a lady with stringy blonde hair that had track marks on both arms answered the door quickly. She took one glance at Cleo and lunged towards her engulfing, her in a big hug.

"CLEO! We were worried sick. Oh my God. Are you okay? Have you been okay?" She pulled back holding both Cleo's hands looking her up and down then looked over at me.

"And who is this?" She asked, breaking eye contact with me and returning her gaze to Cleo.

"I'll explain everything, can we come inside now?" Cleo asked.

"Of course! Come in!" Her mom stepped to the side for Cleo and I to enter, we sat down on the beat up red plaid couch I had watched Cleo nap on so many times.

Her dad walked into the room, looking down at his belt he was fastening,

"Who was that at the door Meredith? - Cleo? Oh my God! Cleo! Where have you been?" His face turned immediately from relief to anger. He looked at me sternly and I returned the look. He seemed surprised. I grabbed Cleo's hand tightly and rubbed my thumb across her knuckle, she met my stare and I could see her start to tear up as her father walked closer to us. No one makes my girl cry. I stood up,

"Cleo and I are going to live together. I love her. I have the financial means to take care of her. We wanted to let you know. I'll give you my cell phone number so you can contact her if you want to," I said, standing up straight.

Her dad stared at me as his jaw dropped. Cleo's mom grabbed his arm, obviously nervous he was going to hit me or something. He turned his focus onto Cleo, who had her head down.

"Look at me Cleo," she looked up, "so you ran away from home because you're gay? And you think you're grown and in love now? Is that what happened?"

Cleo nodded, "I should have called you earlier I'm sorry. I love Billie. I want to live with her she is going to help me get my diploma. She's hiring a tutor for me to be homeschooled."

Her dad rubbed his hand across his balding head and crinkled his eyebrows together as he thought.

"Meredith can you leave the room for a moment please?"

Cleo's mom gave him a surprised look and I thought she was going to protest, but instead she walked out of the room with her head down.

Cleo's dad turned back towards us,

"Cleo. You know I love you like any father loves their daughter. I'm not upset you're gay. So many worse things could have happened with what you've grown up around...you turned out to be such a great kid. You're technically an adult now. You have my blessing to live with your...girlfriend?" He turned towards me with a questioning look.

Cleo interrupted, "-Yes. Girlfriend."

I smiled at her.

Cleo's dad continued, "Your mother has relapsed, if you couldn't tell...you'd probably be better off not living here anyway. I hate having you around her shit. But she needs me. Just please graduate for me okay? You know neither of us graduated high school and we regretted it later,"

Cleo nodded and teared up, but this time they were happy tears. She stood up to hug her dad.

"Thank you for understanding dad...I was so scared to tell you. I know you tried your hardest to make sure I had what I needed growing up."

Her dad kissed her forehead and then turned towards me, reaching his right hand out,

"Nice to meet you Billie, I'm Dan."