Chapter 2

Carter furrowed his brows in confusion. He blinked, looked at baby, who was still reaching for him, and then looked at me. "Daddy?" he asked.

My heart pounded in my chest, and I slowly nodded my head. My throat closed, and I had no idea how he would react. I made sure not to squeeze my daughter too tight, knowing full well that all I wanted to do was become tense and close my eyes while I waited for Carter to yell at me.

Has anything changed?

Carter furrowed his brows and looked at his daughter. Hesitantly, he plucked her from my arms, and I instantly took a step back and placed my hands behind them. "Daddy?" he asked again while my daughter placed her arms around his neck. "When?"

"Two years ago," Sam said. He shifted closer to me, his eyes trained on the male standing before us. "She had gotten pregnant two years, Alpha."

Carter furrowed his brows further and looked between Sam and me. Jealousy filled his eyes, and I knew that he thought something was going on between us. "During that night?"

I nodded my head and licked my lips. "Ummmm, I am sorry that I didn't call you to let you know that I was pregnant." I shifted on my feet and looked anywhere but him; his eyes bore a hole into my face. "I didn't even know if she'd survive or if I could get pregnant."

"Why not?" Carter asked.

I stuffed my hands into my pocket and looked down. My heart clenched while I remembered the warning Isen had given me when I first found out about being pregnant.

He didn't know if the child would survive, especially if she would pass her first birthday. He was amazed that she had lived as long as she did, and I was too.

"Well?" Carter asked. He raised an eyebrow and scowled, his eyes flashing with annoyance.

"Because of the toxins," I replied. I shrugged. "I didn't think I could get pregnant because of it. I thought..." I bit my lip, not wanting to say the word.

Barren.

I thought that I was barren, unable to produce an heir, any heir that would help Avery carry the family name.

"You thought what?"

"She thought she was barren, duh. Dryad blood doesn't mix well with Wolf blood, especially at the high dosage that she had to take," someone said, and I instantly rolled my eyes when Isen appeared at my other shoulder, and Carter growled a warning.

"Goodbye, Isen," I said, turning my head until I stared at the male. I scowled. "Don't you have someone else to bug?"

Isen shrugged. "She is mad at me again," he said. He shot me a look, and I instantly closed my mouth to keep from retorting. "Yes, I made her mad yesterday. I can't help it. Women are so confusing."

I rolled my eyes, and my scowl deepened. "No, you are just an idiot," I replied, and Isen gasped and placed a hand over his heart.

"How dare you!" he exclaimed dramatically, and I rolled my eyes again. "You are so mean to me. Why?"

"Because you annoy me sometimes," I replied.

"Uncle Isen," Alexandria cheered. She reached for him, and the male instantly took her into his arms. "Hi."

Isen chuckled, and his eyes softened. "Hello, Little Nugget. How are you?"

"Good." She pointed to Carter. "My daddy."

Isen's smile became strained. "I know," he replied, terse.

"Isen," I warned, narrowing my eyes at him when he glanced at me. "Cool it."

Isen snorted and rolled his eyes, setting his jaw. "I will not cool it, Anastasia," he replied. "Are you going to introduce us?"

I bit back a huff and nodded. "Michael, Avery, and Carter, Isen and Alexandria." I gestured to those two. "Isen and Alexandria, Avery, Carter, and Michael."

Avery cocked her head and studied him. Knowledge filled her green eyes, and Isen nodded his head in respect. "You're a Dryad," she stated, and Isen's lip curled into amusement.

"Well, yes, I am. What gave it away?" He groaned when I jabbed him in the ribs. "Hey, don't hurt the man with the baby. I am sensitive, you know."

I shook my head and huffed. "You are not," I replied. "You will cool it unless you want me to summon her."

Isen quickly turned his head towards me and narrowed his eyes, warning flashing through them. "You will not," he warned and earned a smirk. He huffed and looked at them, smiling. "As the lovely Anastasia said, I am Isen." He bowed his head and studied the people in front of him. "It is nice to meet all, in person." The Dryad looked at Carter when he said that. "I hate you."

"In person?" Carter asked, furrowing his brows. He looked at Isen and then at me. Confusion filled them while he turned his gaze back to Isen. "What do you mean "in person?""

"No, you don't," I replied.

"Well, I have been keeping an eye on Anastasia while she had lived here, making sure that asshole didn't find her." "I do too."

"If you did, then why do you keep an eye on me?"

"To make sure that you stay alive for the Anabie," he replied. "Why else would I be here?"

I didn't reply.

"Shall we get you settled in here?" Michael asked, looking at me and then at Carter. His jaw was set, and I could tell that he was nervous. He had known that I was pregnant and knew Isen, both he and Avery knew him.

"No-"

"Yes, please," I said, interrupting Carter. I knew he wanted me to be in the big packhouse with him, especially since I hadn't told him about being pregnant.

Carter turned his gaze to me, anger swirling in his eyes. "Y-"

"I will stay here," I insisted. "You can visit her anytime you want. I won't take her away from you." While we are here.

Carter set his jaw and let out a ferocious growl, and I tensed while Sam, Blue, and Isen moved closer to me. He closed his eyes, and his nostrils flared while he took a deep breath in and let it out. "Of course," he said through gritted teeth. He opened his eyes and shook his head before he looked at me. "However, I hope you will visit the pack house with your daughter."

I cringed when he said "your" but made sure that he wouldn't see it.

"Do you mean something like "our?"" Sam asked, instantly picking it up. He folded his arms across his chest and stared at him hard. Anger and protectiveness brewed just below the surface while he studied the male before him, ready to protect me and my honor in an instant. "She is your daughter, too."

"Is she?" Carter asked, turning his gaze to Sam. "Is she really, or is she someone else's?"