Chapter 7

...............Jayden...............

It was maybe nine o'clock at night. Taylor had left around seven-thirty to eat dinner with his family, so I was left alone for a while in the empty, silent house. Naomi had texted me about eight forty-five, telling me that she and Mason were on their way back home. Mom and Calvin were coming home a lot later than usual, deciding that they would go on a date right after work.

I was watching TV on the couch when the door opened, I sat up and muted my show. Naomi rushed in and hugged me. I chuckled and hugged her back. I could see Mason glaring at me, his grey eyes narrow, and his mouth twisted into a scowl. I looked down and saw three or four bags in one of his hands, the other balled into a fist. "Hey, Nao. How'd the date go?"

She pulled away from the kiss and smiled at me. "It was amazing, Jayden," she started, a dreamy look in her eyes. "Mason brought me to the salon we went to on our first date. He bought me a bunch of jewellery and a few headbands, got my hair redyed and trimmed, got my nails done, and got me new clothes. After that, we went on a two-ish hour car ride, ending with a small picnic in a field." she finished her little rant and walked back over to Mason, who wrapped his arms around her. It was like he was trying to protect Naomi from me. My heart hurt for some odd reason, what reason, I didn't know.

"Stop touching her, Jayden. I get that you're friends, but she's mine, not yours," he growled, glaring at me still and pulling Naomi closer to his chest.

Again, I felt that twang in my heart, and I felt it a third time when Mason kissed Naomi and walked her to the kitchen, whispering things to her that I, of course, couldn't make out.

Is it jealousy? Or just something else?

I brushed the thought away and went up to my room. "Holler for me if you need me!" I called out to my brother.

"Whatever! We're making dinner for your obnoxious ass!" He yelled back before chuckling, probably at something that Naomi said.

I jumped onto my bed and got under the covers. I pulled out my phone from my back pocket and texted Taylor.

'Hey Baby. How are you?'

He never replied fifteen minutes later, so I guessed that he was asleep. I set my phone on my bedside table, closed my eyes, and fell asleep.

---

I was woken up to Naomi poking me while giggling. 'Wake up, sleepy head. Dinner's ready downstairs," she teased.

I sat up and grabbed her by the wrists, pinning her down on my bed with a loud, hoarse laugh. Naomi laughed with me and tried to escape, but she couldn't even loosen my grip on her. I let her go and stood up after warning her not to poke me unless she wanted to be pinned down again.

"Come on, let's go get food, Nao. Don't be slow," I teased, getting payback for her teasing me when she woke me up. A slight chuckle left me. Naomi nodded and got up. She grabbed my hand, her grip loose like she was ready to let go any second.

She ended up not letting go. Not even when we got down to the dining room, did she let go. Mason was staring daggers at our intertwined hands.

He looked up at me, glaring again. It looked like his eyes were aiming a little lower than my face. I was confused until he spoke up."Let me guess, touchy girlfriend left those earlier today while Naomi and I were out on our date." I gulped and nodded. He chuckled, and a smug look appeared on his face.

Naomi held my hand a little tighter. "I didn't even see those. Taylor really did a number on you, didn't she?" She giggled and sat down. Why is she still holding my hand? Can't she see that Mason clearly doesn't like it?