Chapter Five - Diner

I've said it before and I'll say it again my account is dead

You tucked Jungkook's ears under a cap that they'd given you at the diner, making sure they were comfortable for the bunny before handing him an extra apron of yours. You had one of Hoseok's uniforms left at your house after an impromptu sleepover, so you let the bunny boy wear it under the apron.

His tail was quite obvious under the dress pants that you had to wear so you traded aprons with him, yours a pullover while his was a tie. It disguised the round bump in the back of his pants, falling over it cleanly. You took your keys, packing a snack for Jungkook in your purse and helping him into a pair of shoes that Hoseok had also left behind. You supposed it was lucky that you had practically a second wardrobe of his at your house from all the times you'd binged shows all night after work and then fallen asleep on the couch.

He fumbled with the laces, tugging on them tentatively before releasing them again. You took them in your hands, quickly tying them, then untying them. You showed him, step by step, even taking off his cap to reveal his own bunny ears when you pointed out the loops in the laces. He giggled at your comparison, making loops with the shoelaces on his other feet and following your instructions with a careful hand. 

After a few tries, maybe five or six, he was confidently able to tie his shoes all by himself, so you stood, helping him to his feet and leading him out the door. You locked it behind you, taking his hand in yours, checking his cap and apron for the last time, and setting off towards the diner.

You got there in only a few minutes, the diner really was just down the street. The neon sign wasn't lit this early in the morning, but at five in the evening, it would illuminate the street. It was completely retro themed, a real 50's diner. Aqua plastic booths with tile flooring, similarly colored paint covering the walls. The counters were all finished with metal, rims of tables as well. Hoseok was working his shift today behind the register, and he greeted the two of you with a surprised smile.

"Oh! Jungkook! I didn't know you were coming! Welcome, are you gonna help out today?"

Jungkook nodded shyly, trying to duck behind you so that he was hidden from view. You pulled him to stand by your side, gripping his hand in your own and squeezing it tight so that he felt safe. 

"Alright, well, Y/N, how about you split your shift with him for now, just clean up for right now and then later we can all work registers. Taehyung's coming in later and we'll have him working the kitchen with Namjoon."

Taehyung and Namjoon, more of Hoseok's friends that had become your own, worked at the diner as well. Taehyung, a rather energetic tiger hybrid, and Namjoon, his human owner. Their relationship wasn't between a regular human and hybrid, Namjoon was more of a friend than an owner. And even then, he was more of a lover than a friend.

You nodded, bringing Jungkook to the back room and clocking in. You had cards to clock in, you wanted to keep the authentic style of a 50's diner and you wrote up a new one for Jungkook. You showed him how to both clock in and clock out, filling in the cards for your shift today and planning ahead for your lunch. Hoseok was generous, you each got one free meal a day while working. 

You grabbed two rags, dampened them, and handed one to Jungkook. You demonstrated cleaning a table, teaching him the alrge, sweeping motions to use to ensure that nothing escaped the reaches of the cloth. Once he was confident enough in the task you made to leave, backtracking and calling his name softly.

His large doe eyes looked at you curiously and you almost cooed audibly. 

"Do you wanna take your hat off? Taehyung, he's a tiger hybrid, he works here too. He'll be here later. You'd have to wear a special type of hairnet made for hybrid's ears, because you can't risk shedding around the food, but it might be more comfortable? Keep your tail tucked into your pants though, yeah? It's another health hazard."

He nodded, reaching up and sliding the hat off of his head. His ears sprang up, standing alert on his head. You laughed, taking the hat from him and separating the velcro layers in the back, hooking them around his belt loop. The hat now hung from his waist and you reached behind the kitchen counter, grabbing a hybrid hairnet and fitting it to his head. 

He thanked you, turning once more and cleaning the tables one by one. You both cleaned every single table in the restaurant, and when you met back up you taught Jungkook how to high-five. He was startled by the noise but liked the praise that came with the gesture. 

After about twenty minutes of cash register training, the doors burst open and Jungkook shot nearly five feet in the air. He clutched your hand tightly in his, a whimper crawling out of his throat and piercing the air.

You saw a blur of orange and black before it collided with Hoseok, the latter chuckling and bracing himself on the counter, hugging the energetic tiger hybrid.

"Hi Taehyung! How are you?"

"Good! How are you?" Taehyung nudged his head into Hoseok's free hand, purring deeply when the older man began petting him. Another figure made its way through the door, chuckling lightly at his hybrid and smiling at you knowingly. His brows furrowed at the figure behind you and he slowly made his way towards you. Taehyung seemed to notice the extra scent, head popping up from Hoseok's chest and eyes locking onto Jungkook's long floppy ears.

Namjoon saw what was coming and grabbed Taehyung 'round the waist, preventing him from lunging at Jungkook.

"Y/N! Is there a new hybrid?! Hi! What's your name? I'm Taehyung!"

Namjoon ran a hand through the tiger's ears and the response was immediate, Taehyung's eyes drooped and he began purring intensely. It had a ridiculously calming effect on the tiger, it was one of the most useful things to know about him.

"Taehyung, how about we let the bunny introduce himself. Or how about Y/N introduce him. He seems pretty shy, we should respect that."

Taehyung sleepily nodded, eyes glazed over as Namjoon worked his magic.

You grabbed the bunny boy's hand behind you, "Guys, this is Jungkook, Jungkook, this is Namjoon, and Taehyung."