Chapter 15

Courtney POV

Patient #035

Name: Andrew Michael Brooks

Age: 32

Sex: Male

Appointed Practitioner: Courtney Whitfield, Psychiatrist

Entry Log #1:

Patient, Mr. Brooks, does not hold the particular traits associated with that of common criminals, nor does he possess the characteristics of a murderer or even a violent person. Though during some of our meetings he seems on edge and uncomfortable, it is more likely that this is due to the change in his environment and the constant lock-up he is held under. This appears highly inhumane.

Note to self: I must check to see if keeping him in the precinct based on only being a suspect is legal.

He has been observed to be quite agitated at times and tends to day-dream during some of our interactions. Over time, he has developed an understanding of why our meetings are necessary but he is still profoundly against them.  As of recently, he has agreed to cooperate with me to the fullest of his ability and I intend to take advantage of this.

He is yet to reveal the whole past of his family. From what I can gather, he recently came into contact with his brother. The whereabouts of his parents and/or guardians still remains a mystery. He spoke of people he has been in contact with during the days leading up to his arrest. Besides his brother (Vin), he listed the name of a close acquaintance named Tony, Earl, the man he believes to be responsible for the deaths of the victims, and a woman by the name of Charlotte.

This piece of news was particularly shocking to me as I was informed at the very beginning of my time with Mr. Brooks that a woman by the name of Charlotte had accused him of violence against her. I do not yet know the details of this attack, but Andy speaks of her fondly and does not express an ounce of negativity towards her.

He had pointed out only briefly that on several occasions, he could not recall certain events. He calls his experiences at this time to be sometimes "hazy" or irretrievable. This appears to the most worrying aspect of his mental state as many of the other aspects are normal. Haziness and blackouts are common symptoms of many conditions, but it is hard to pinpoint the exact cause.

He is so regular in fact, that I worry that what he says is true. It is likely that he could be being framed. Based on the data that I have collected, it seems the most logical explanation.

It is difficult to diagnose him with anything considering I do not yet know what I am supposed to be looking for. My limited training in this area of law and possible criminals does not allow me to see clearly the difference between the mentally sick and healthy.

As for now, I can only say that further research and study of Mr. Brooks is needed to completely and accurately diagnose him with a disorder if any.

Signed: Courtney Whitfield

She glanced up from the documents that sat neatly on the table. Andy had been taken back to his cell two hours or so before-hand. Courtney had sat at the table staring at her notes for hours wondering how she was to explain the lack of disturbance in her patient's head. There was nothing more to say or add. It showed that only he and herself believed in his innocence. His frustration was more than acceptable, in fact almost expected.

At that moment, the detective strolled in with a smirk on his face. She frowned in confusion at his expression that did not at all seem appropriate for the time.

"So, is he crazy or what?" She rolled her eyes as the words left the detective's lips. Courtney couldn't tell if Brian's offensive opinions of her patients were aimed at all of them or just the criminals. She remembered that she had to ask him if keeping Andy locked up was allowed, but she knew he wasn't in the mood for that line of questioning.

"I don't see why you want to charge him so badly," she said in an annoyed tone. Detective Brian Millar narrowed his eyes at her. She knew that challenging him was a bold and quite possibly stupid move. He was the whole reason she was there, after all.

"Than what did you find, Whitfield?" he asked in a voice laced with bitterness, spitting out her last name as if it were acid. She ignored it, she had too. Deep down, she knew everything he said to her was not meant to be insulting. He was mean sometimes, but all that he did, he did with good intention.

"Nothing. I found out nothing. The guy is reacting normally to almost everything. I can't see him as a deranged psycho or a violent person. Tell me again, why is he a suspect?" He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the wall, his eyes proving how deep in-thought he was.

"You know I can't tell you that. You already know more than you should," he said and itched his eyebrow awkwardly. She sighed in exhaustion, leaning up toward the ceiling in a bone-cracking stretch.

There was no use questioning him. He only told her things out of necessity and anything else she knew she had picked up along the way. She had only found out the charge against him with the young lady because there had been a file left open and unattended next to her as she worked. She itched to take it home and study it inside-out. However, due to security and privacy, she was not permitted. Obeying the law in cases such as these was a task that was unmistakably getting harder and harder.

Behind Brian, her eyes spotted the same file. It was left out again. Even in that moment while talking to a coworker, she itched even just touch the binding folder. It was open and begging to be read, studied and examined. It would definitely help her to know the private information if she was going to assess him. It was almost funny that she was more likely be the deranged one due to her perpetual obsession for reading the file. Shaking off the thought, her attention came back to the man in front of her who was suddenly looking at her strangely.

"Are any of the boys in the precinct giving you a hard time?" The detective asked this abruptly, his eyes narrowed. It was a question that popped out from nowhere, it seemed. She had been hoping that it would not come up. She lowered her head slightly.

"Only a couple," she admitted.

"Which ones?"

"I don't know their names."

She didn't blame them for the occasional heckling they gave her. It was an odd thing to see, a woman working in a precinct. Of course, she wasn't there as a detective or officer. Even still, it was a difficult concept to grasp. A lady doctor. Who would have thought? But the inner workings of the human brain and behavior were her passion and after her husband died in the second world war, she needed a way to support herself. Going back to school wasn't a cheap solution, but it was what she needed.

"Point them out to me the next time you see them. Try to catch what it says on their name badge or something." She nodded knowing full well she would do no such thing. No matter who they were and what they had done, no one deserved to face the unholy wrath of Detective Miller. She internally laughed thinking about how fitting it was that he worked in a precinct.

"When is the next meeting you have scheduled with him?" Checking the time, Courtney could see that the day was almost at its end and she was soon to go home. Although the idea of going back to her house and relaxing was appealing, she couldn't deny the ache in her head that occurred every time she even considered halting the work on Andy's case. She checked over her notes to find a simple looking diary. Flipping through the pages, her fingers came to the page she was looking for with the day's date inscribed delicately in the top corner.

"Tomorrow, early in the morning." It was much earlier than she desired to come into work or wake up for that matter. In previous experience, she had noticed how the patients were much more honest in their tired states. They temporarily would lose their resolve and drop their guard long enough for them to be assessed. It was both a great and exhausting tactic.

He pulled his lips back slightly. It was obvious to see that he was nervous. Maybe not nervous, but bothered. She knew the matter was going to be thought of the entire night. He desperately wanted this case closed and she worried that he would do anything he could to make it happen.