Chapter 17

Courtney POV

Patient #035

Name: Andrew Michael Brooks

Age: 32

Sex: Male

Appointed Practitioner: Courtney Whitfield, Psychiatrist

Entry Log #2:

After some further study into the psyche of patient Andrew Brooks, I noted that he had shown many inconsistencies in his character. Most of the time he acted like his usual self, but from time to time, I would see a glimpse into his mind and see that his brain didn't work the same as most others. I began to peel away the exterior that he himself did not seem to believe was there to find the truths hiding underneath.

My first hint of this came in our first session when he snapped after I called his name too often. Although this repetition of an individual's name is commonly meant to be a calming technique, I could see clearly that it had the opposite effect on this specific patient. It allowed me to further observe his behavior and explore reasons as to why he might be acting out the way he has.

He had also mentioned the occurrence of blackouts in his memory. Initially, I thought this to be due to some kind of trauma experienced in his childhood if not a symptom of many other issues I could not place at the time. I took his lack of enthusiasm when talking about his family to be a sign of a possible broken home or domestic issue. I can now see that it is more likely to be a sign of guilt. The exact reason for his guilt isn't something that he has ever admitted to and I doubt he ever will.

The irregularities seen in his symptoms and behaviors seem more likely due to conscious choices he has made to escape suspicion of his accused crimes. It is highly unlikely that he had experienced any of these symptoms in the first place. It is possible that I believed in his innocence early on in his treatment because of my own trusting nature. Seeing the error in my work and ways, I gave up time to further look into the mysterious case of Andy with a much clearer mind. This is how came to my conclusion.

I set up another session early in the morning but stayed up the night before, when I came to my breakthrough. Having come into possession of a copy of the tape, recorded by Charlotte and another detective I have not met before, I used it to my advantage. I played the entire recording to him, to which he responded with violent and aggressive behavior. Never in my career had I witnessed such animalistic tendencies coming from a human. This outburst helped to clarify the psychotic nature of this individual. He was then subdued and taken away by guards to an infirmary cell to keep him docile with the use of medication as he does not look fit to be in any other kind of scenario. I felt weak for having assumed he was innocent.

Notwithstanding the obviousness of his guilt, a part of me still believes that I have missed something very important to his evaluation. It feels as if I have missed out on the last connecting piece of the puzzle. Though everything appears to be in place, everyone has ignored a crucial piece of information. It is frustrating to think about as I can't seem to figure it out myself.

This will most likely be my last entry for Andrew as I have been formally removed from his case. I will be replaced by an old friend of mine who studied with me during my time at university. He is an excellent young psychiatrist. However, I feel as though I should warn him about my hunch. He also loves to use machines to conduct his interviews. I don't feel that it would be very helpful to strap Andy to a polygraph as, due to his aggression, it may not be safe, appropriate or even accurate.

Despite all of this, I know that the newer doctor will more than likely want to start all over again with his own analysis. I don't mind. It won't take long for him to figure out what I have in the past few days of working. I just hope that he won't mistake Andy's behavior for innocence as I had done. I believe that the psychiatrist will be able to look at this case with fresh eyes and an objective in mind to do right by the patient and victims.

It is important for me to state that the evaluation of Andrew Brook's mental state is not a simple task. It has been one of the most interesting cases I have ever seen, but also the most taxing even though I only had two whole sessions with him. It is a good thing that a more experienced and professional doctor will be helping him after I have left. I wish the best for the accused and for the team of people who seek out the truth in this patient.

She could no longer pen her thoughts on the paper. Truth be told, she was upset that she could no longer work with Andy. Brian was to blame for having her taken off the case. He thought she was likely of being "seriously injured" if she continued to assess him. Courtney packed up her notes and her assigned desk. There was no need for her things to be there any longer. It broke her heart to know that her departure was so soon even if it was for the best.

"Mrs. Whitfield, how lovely to see you again." She turned to see Martin Hall looking back at her. He was the man to continue to assess Andy. He was her replacement.

"Marty," she said using his nickname and giving him a hug. They had been friends for many years. Not much had changed in his appearance. She was glad to see time had been kinder to him than it had been to her.

He had always been a tall man, his head just falling short of hitting any door frame. His stature was slim and willowy as if he might suddenly snap at the slightest of gale winds. The hair on his head was not yet falling out or turning gray, a sign of his ever-present youth. Even after so long, his smile was warm as it reached his eyes and let his friendliness show. It was hard to say that anything about him had changed over the years. He was just as warm as ever. How she had missed him as her friend.

"I'm so sorry to leave early but I have a few more things to clear up before I go. It's my last day today." She handed him the journal she had written in and had been working on. Hopefully, he would find some kind of important information in it. He handled it in his slender hands with care as he always did with other people's belongings.

"That's fine. I'm glad to see you're in such good spirits after everything," he said. She couldn't tell if he was referring to the death of her husband or the fact that she was being replaced by him. It felt like the life she had lived after his death wasn't her own anymore. She smiled anyway, knowing that it was said with good intention.

"When are you meeting Andy?" Courtney was curious to know. She also desired to see him one last time before she left the building and didn't want to have Martin around for the goodbye. It still felt funny to say that she wanted to say goodbye at all. He was surely guilty and not worthy of a formal farewell. Still, with all the time and effort they had spent working together, he deserved a face-to-face parting for his cooperation.

"I haven't been told yet. I mainly stopped by today to see you before you left."

"How kind of you," she said. He had always been a thoughtful young man. Though jealous of him, she always admired and respected his character. Even though she was mad that she would not be working there anymore, she silently prayed that he would have more success in working with Andy than she did. She wouldn't forgive herself if she knew he would be attacked also.

They spoke more of everything that had happened since the last they had seen of each other, knowing to skip the details of the case. It was a morbid topic that Martin would come to know well soon enough. The more they conversed, the more Courtney became anxious to see Andy again. It would have been very distressing to have a new doctor suddenly. Even though he had tried to attack her, she felt that he might not try again.

With her belongings in hand, she farewelled Martin with a bright smile and began walking towards Andy's cell for what she planned to be their final goodbye.