16💞

Kaori Jade Mitchell

I wake up to my brother screaming, yelling, and jumping on my bed.

"Wake up kid! Today's the day!" He yells.

"Uhh- what's today?" I ask confused rubbing my eyes.

"Really.. you forgot?" He asks.

I look at my phone and see the date.

June 21, 2019

"Happy birthday, little sis!" He said rubbing my head.

I smile and chuckle.

"Same to you." I say getting up and hugging him.

Alija is my big brother, but he's literally my best friend. We've been through everything together. I can tell him anything he'll tell me anything.

We pull out the hug.

"Okay, let's have the our annual tbb." He said putting his arm around me walking out of the room.

TBB stands for Twin Birthday Breakfast. Our parents made it up. If you don't know my mom LOVES to cook, bake, all of the above.

We walk downstairs and see two plates with pancakes, fruit, eggs, and bacon.

As we walk in, our parents sing happy birthday.

"Thank mom for the dinner.. as usual." I say.

"Yeah, tanks mom." Alija said in a baby voice.

I chuckle and roll my eyes.

•••

As my dad and brother were setting up the decorations, me and my mom were setting up the food and drinks.

"You know Jade I'm so proud of you. Growing up into an independent, strong, beautiful young lady. And next year both of y'all are off to college." My mom said as she was getting drinks and putting them in the cooler.

"Mom." I say.

"I know, I know. I love you, okay." She says rubbing my hair.

"I love you too mom." I say hugging her.

"Oh, and let me know when Melo gets here. I want him to help me with something." She says.

"Okay, mom." I say laughing.

•••

As people started coming, I saw Austin walk in.

"Hey!" I hug him.

"What's up? Why are you in the pool, yet?" He asks as we pull away.

"Just waiting for everybody to get here. I have to greet them first." I say as he nods his head.