Four

*

"I don't understand Corsie".

Rachel gives her a sympathetic look while Lee is busy making Molly a cup of sweet tea.

"I know you dinnae, but let me tell you something, not everything in life is going to go the way we want however, we have a choice in deciding some of that. Noo I know that you falling in love with Claire wasn't on your mind when you first got called up, it wasn't on mine that I'd go for Lee either..."

The defender pauses when her girlfriend gives her a sharp elbow in the ribs, giving her a sharp look that slowly softens.

"It's all going to be a bit weird until it comes to a head, in the training and in your free time. You'll find a way to deal with it, we'll help you with that".

Corsie smiles and Lee nods while Molly finds it somewhat hard to believe.

"How come Jonny is going to break up with her anyway?" Lee asks carefully, "he said that Claire's mind is somewhere else, on someone else and that he thinks it's best for the two of them to split... or something like that".

The words spill out of Molly's mouth, part of her meaning to say them but the rest embarrassed even though the defender and keeper are her most trusted confidants.

"She only took me to see her parents, blaming it on the fact I hadn't seen them for a while and this was the last chance I'd get before France".

Rachel nods along, thinking hard about what she just told her.

"Do you think it's me that Jonny meant, the person Claire is distracted by?" Molly asks, "we can't be sure..." Corsie starts.

"But why!" the Arsenal defender let's out accidentally, "I dinnae Molls. I know you have feelings for Claire and although I don't know whether she does have one's for you in that way, I know she holds you in very high regard in her life".

*

"Alright girls, bring it in unless you want to be out here when it starts hammering it down".

Shelley gestures for the team to gather round and Molly's stands alongside Corsie, with the captain linking an arm around the shoulders of the Glaswegian.

"So, we face Jamaica at Hampden Park in two days time but I'm going to say this noo; I don't want the occasion or the place to get to you. This is a World Cup warm up game, not any auld friendly and I want 100% focus and determination, almost as if it was a match in the tournament.

I want to stress how important it is that you look out for each other and that no matter what happens, remember it's a privilege to be here and it could end any day; take it all in your stride and enjoy every moment".

The head coach dismisses the team and they gather their things before heading back to the bus.

"Molls, wait up!".

The voice the defender least wanted to hear, calls from behind her and she turns to see the forward jogging over.

"Not gonna leave without me are you?" Claire asks and Molly shakes her head, plastering on a smile, "of course not". She slings an arm around Claire's shoulders and her best friend puts one around waist in turn, "how are you? You ran out on me pretty quickly the other day" Emslie says.

"I'm sorry, I remembered I'd go see Corsie and Lee before tea" Molly lies through her teeth, hoping Claire can't tell, "o-oh well, at least I've got you now".

The two board the bus and Molly slips into a chair on her own while Claire goes off to sit with Chloe. She feels a squeeze on her shoulder and turns to see Lisa looking at her with pity, the forward's hand on her left shoulder; somewhat comforting her.

The whole way back to the hotel, Molly is thinking about the fact she lied to Claire but then also her response 'oh well, at least I've got you now'.

Something pulls at her heart again and tear slides down her cheek.

*