Six

*

"Bienvenue à France, bienvenue à Nice et le Promenade de l'Anglais, poor choice of name I know".

Shelley's joke sends laughter round the room and breaks the ice a little, "this is going to be our base during the lead up to the England game and our training facility is just down the road" she explains.

"Anywhere we travel, we will be using the bus and I know that will be a new experience to those who have driven miles in their career for matches and training.

Please take all this in your stride, some of you may never experience this again and I want you all to remember, have a little fun. We'll get settled in and acclimatised, then after dinner when hopefully it'll be cooler, we can go out and have a walk along the promenade".

The team is dismissed and each heads to their rooms, allocated as so:

Lee Alexander and Rachel Corsie
Molly Adams and Caroline Weir
Fiona Brown and Erin Cuthbert
Lizzie Arnot and Kirsty Smith
Jenna Fife and Joelle Murray
Chloe Arthur and Claire Emslie
Kim Little and Jane Ross
Lana Clelland and Leanne Crichton
Jen Beattie and Christie Murray
Lisa Evans and Nicola Docherty
Hayley Lauder and Jo Love
Shannon Lynn

"So, roommates once again" Weir says, throwing a shoulder round Molly's as they walk the corridor, "and I believe we're next to Chloe and Claire" the forward continues, pretending not to notice Molly's shoulders tense under her arm.

"Look, there they are".

Chloe unlocks the door for the room next to theirs while Claire waits, standing watching Caroline and Molly, "I'm gonna go inside, you talk to her" Caz says, removing her arm, pushing Molly forwards a little before going inside.

"I have something to tell you" Claire starts, "not now Claire please, not now" Molly replies.

Emslie looks sad and confused at the same time but quickly hides it, "alright, but when are we going to talk about this?" the forward asks, gesturing between the two of them.

"Later..." the Arsenal player says, "yeh, later just not now, I get it Molls" Claire answers, opening the door of her room and storming inside, closing it and pressing her forehead to the wood; knowing her best friend was still outside.

"I'm going to Orlando".

*

Around seven o'clock, when the air had cooled not significantly but enough for it to be pleasant and not unbearable, the team wander the promenade admiring the scenery and in the case of Lee and Rachel, Claire and Molly; each other.

Despite their altercation earlier, the two girls walk together in peace behind the rest of the group, Corsie and Lee.

"When do you go out there?".

Neither Claire nor Molly look at the other, just straight in front, at the back of their teammates heads.

"After the World Cup. Get back to Scotland, collect my things from Manchester which Caz has kept for me and then fly to Florida two days after" she explains, "that's not long to say your goodbyes".

Claire looks out to sea.

"I know, but all the goodbyes I have to make are here in France".

They continue walking, past hotels, palm trees and bars, 'this seems like a metaphor for my life' Molly thinks as the hotels, palm trees and bars disappear behind her, 'a metaphor for saying goodbye to her'.

Silently she slips her hand into Claire's and they continue walking, pausing a little way from where the rest of the team stop, the others knowing full well the conversation the two were having.

"I think it's best for us to get through this World Cup best we can.

I'll move to Orlando and you'll go back to Arsenal, you will have Corsie and I will have my new teammates, then when we come back together for the start of the Euro qualifiers; we'll talk and start over" Claire says.

"Why?" Molly asks, "why do we have to get through it best we can, why must we start again?".

Once again, Claire doesn't meet her eye and looks out to sea.

"Because I love you".

*