Ch.2

I groggily woke up. Laying on the floor. Must have fallen over at some point in my sleep. I looked above me, and noticed a curious boo. Looking at me with big thoughtful eyes. With a slightly tilted head. I sat up, causing it to jump a bit, and hide its face behind its little nubs for hands. Not wanting to scare it more, I carefully raised my hands to the small ghost's, prying them away from its face. It leaned back, staring at me with quick movements of its eyes, as it tried to figure out what I'd do next. At least that's what it seemed. I gave it a little smile, trying to calm it. Well, I should say he, as this boo is white. The smile seemed to help, as he did relax. "No need to be scared. I won't hurt you" I said, letting go of his hands. "Don't feel pressured to answer. It's alright if you're shy" I continued. He took a deep breath, before speaking. "O-Our king wants to see you" he said. "Will you show me where he is, then?" I asked. He turned and went through the wall by the door. I got up and followed the boo. Not through the wall, but through the door.

"So, what's your name?" I asked, as we were walking through the hallway leading to the foyer. "Call me Hatch" he answered. "Sounds familiar..." I said, taking out a small note book from my back pocket. I flipped through it, until I got to a page with 50 different names in it. They were all listed, in one of the books I read, as 'the King's followers'. I mumbled a few names for myself trying to find what I was looking for. "I thought so..." I said. Finding the name Boo B. Hatch.

We reached the basement, and Hatch unlocked the doors for me. Considering that I can't exactly phase through walls. Being a living human and all. We, well... I walked while he floated through a crooked hallway until we reached a door. A few more boos appeared around me as Hatch told me to wait outside for a moment. The boos weren't that shy to approach me, when they've seen one of their own having a conversation with me. One of them even got close enough to tap my hair. All of them with a curious look. I heard the door unlocking, and the boos disappeared.

I opened the door, to a room covered in gold, and a painting at the end of the hallway. I sprinted up to it, considering that my uncle was trapped inside of it. I put my hands against it, inspecting the whole thing. "How did you-?" I was cut off. "Look who's all grown up" the voice said behind me. I looked back. "It's you" I said, before taking a couple steps towards him. Mario trying to stop me with charades. Too bad I can't see, nor hear him. "What brings you back, after so many years?" He asked, not being shy about the eye contact. "Well... my dad won this mansion in a raffle he never entered. And from what your friends said when I released you guys. I'd assume you're behind it" I said. The sleeve over my left shoulder falling off. The king mumbled something under his breath. "I didn't expect that" he commented, as I pulled the sleeve back up "Wait... you caused this?" I asked, pointing to the gaping holes in my shoulder. "I'm sorry... I wish I had more time" he lowered his head. "It's...it's alright. I can't remember how or when I got these. But I've learned to live with it" I said, calming myself down, as I don't want to snap at someone I don't know. "I didn't mean to bite through your shoulder like that. I panicked when you fell off the balcony. Screaming for your life. I had to do something. If not, you... wouldn't be here" he continued to ramble. "...you saved my life?" I asked. "You were only 7 back then. I don't blame you if you don't remember" he answered. Wait. I know him personally? I surprised the ghost with a hug. "Thank you" I said, letting go. "But what did you want to see me for?" I asked, remembering why I came here in the first place. "Need me to join you? Spook the life out of people?" I joked, although not fully. He laughed. "Now, now, don't go do anything you might regret" he said. "I just wanted to see an old friend" he answered. "If we really were friends..." I started, before going silent for a moment. "We sure have a lot of catching up to do" I finished, not finding the right words for what I wanted to say, but it's close enough. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I took it out to find it being spammed with a bunch of texts from my dad. Along with 7 missed calls. "Someone's worried" the king said, peering over my shoulder. "He tends to be. Especially after he found out that I'm... never mind. Guess I should go find him" I sighed. "But I think I'm starting to like this place. I'll make sure to visit every now and then" I said, turning back to the door. I waved to the poltergeist before leaving.

"Matured she has indeed" the king sighed with a smile, when (Y/N) was out of earshot. "To a rather beautiful lady at that" The king's smile turned sour when the painting made kissy faces. "Oh, shut up back there!" he growled snapping his head back.

I got back home, and headed straight to my room. It's past midnight. I'm alone. I couldn't help but to genuinely smile to myself, something I haven't done in a long time. And with a smile on my face, I fell asleep in my bed.

—-The next day—-

I was called to the principal's office during lunch. "I'm sorry to say this. But we unfortunately haven't gotten a suitable tutor for you. You'll have to finish your studies here" she said. "Oh... okay" I said quietly. "Normal classes?" I asked. Trying to increase the tone of my voice, but being unable to. "Normal classes, unless you come to an agreement with your teachers. You're free to go if you don't have anything else in mind" she answered. "Thank you" I said, before leaving. I wandered through the hallways, trying to not seem sadder or more scared than I usually am. I took a deep breath, and went into the class room to wait for my next class. Please just let this day be over.

"Well, look who's here. If it isn't the shy guy" I heard one of the jocks say, as he entered the classroom. I kept my attention to the book, trying to ignore him. "Look at me while I talk to ya" he said, pulling my hair back, hurting my neck from the whiplash. I couldn't do anything. My body didn't allow me to do anything. One of the three, restrained my hands to the table, while another pulled up the sleeves on my shirt. "Ey look at that. She doesn't have any new scars" the third laughed. "Really?~ how about we help you with that?" The leader said, as a knife was stabbed into my hand. I was saved by the bell, as the teacher would be here any second now. "What's going on here?" He asked. "Just a couple of friends, waiting for class to start" the leader said, ruffling my hair. "It's always nice to see people get along. Now take your seats" the teacher answered, starting class as the rest of the students got inside.

After class, I asked to go to the nurse and principal, as I would have the same teacher next class. First going to the principal to tell her what had happened. I showed my hand and told her the story.

Too bad that she'd just talk to them again, instead of getting them expelled or something. And the nurse told me to go home and rest, while she'd tell the teacher and principal of my whereabouts.

"And now I'm here as I didn't want to go back home and worry my dad about this" I told the king, as I sat by a table in the mirror room. "I see... I'll make sure to show them what for when I see them" he said, mumbling the last part. While I was distracted by a couple boos re-bandaging my hands. "What was that?" I asked. "Nothing you have to worry about" he cooed.

I sighed, turning my head to look in the mirror. Turning my head to the sides and pulling in my stomach. The king turned my chair towards the mirror, and put his hands on my shoulders. "When I look into the mirror, I see a strong, young, woman who doesn't care of what others think, and doesn't need any real friends to be happy" he said. "Oh, and I'm there too" he piped up. I let out a breath, almost like a laugh. "You really have no reason to be this nice to me" I said, touched by his words. "I'll get my friends cook up something for you. Anything specific you'd like?" He asked. "I'm not really hungry" I said. He paused for a moment. "I know what you need" he said, before letting go of my shoulders. "Don't do anything you'll regret while I'm gone" he added before leaving the room. After a while, he and a few other boos returned with a silver platter, with a fancy meal. "I thought I-" he cut me off. "I know you are. Now eat up" he said, sitting down across from me, when the platter was put down on the table, and a Boo was holding silverware, wrapped up in a handkerchief, to me. "Why are you so nice to me? No one's ever treated me like this" I said, poking at the meat with the fork. "I know what you're going through. I can sense it. I just want you to know that people care" he answered. "You probably say that to every girl you meet to make them feel better" I said, shoving a piece of the meat into my mouth. "You're the first one" he admitted. "Hm?" I took the fork out. "I've known you since you were little. You're special to me" he said. I had no words.